Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came with Ultegra shifters (triple 9spd) and rear derailer. The front derailer is a 105. Is it worth the trouble and expense to convert to an Ultegra triple front derailer?

Thanks for your help,
linuxted

·
Registered
543 Posts
Probably more important to have the higher level derailer on the rear. If it works fine I wouldn't worry about it. If or when it breaks then you can upgrade.

·
SoCal--S Beach to the Dam
1,031 Posts
Might be the last thing i'd upgrade,the FD.

·
Registered
985 Posts
geraldatwork said:
Probably more important to have the higher level derailer on the rear. If it works fine I wouldn't worry about it. If or when it breaks then you can upgrade.
Why? A rear derailar is the stupidiest part of a drivetrain.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
What they said. Only real reason to change is for "status" (having an all-Ultegra bike).

I ride a triple, and got a 105 FD to replace the stock TIagra unit (which was fine at first but got worse with wear). In any standard Shimano triple the shift from small to middle chainring (30 to 42) will always be somewhat rougher due to the relatively large size difference with this shift (12 tooth = 40% difference, vs 10 tooth= 23% diff shifting 42T middle to 52T big ring).

If you are running a well-adjusted FD with a good non-binding cable, I doubt you would honestly feel a difference in shift quality after going through the trouble & expense for this "upgrade". Personally- I would not turn down a freebie Ultegra triple FD, but I would not spend a nickel to change out from a 105.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oldteen said:
What they said. Only real reason to change is for "status" (having an all-Ultegra bike).

I ride a triple, and got a 105 FD to replace the stock TIagra unit (which was fine at first but got worse with wear). In any standard Shimano triple the shift from small to middle chainring (30 to 42) will always be somewhat rougher due to the relatively large size difference with this shift (12 tooth = 40% difference, vs 10 tooth= 23% diff shifting 42T middle to 52T big ring).

If you are running a well-adjusted FD with a good non-binding cable, I doubt you would honestly feel a difference in shift quality after going through the trouble & expense for this "upgrade". Personally- I would not turn down a freebie Ultegra triple FD, but I would not spend a nickel to change out from a 105.
hmmmmmm am I sensing I shouldn't spend money on the Ultegra triple :D ? Seriously, thanks for convincing me not to part with my funds for a blind hope of better shifing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts