Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my predicament:

Newbie road bike guy, looking at a '09 TCR Advanced 3 vs '09 TCR Advanced 2. According to the specs on giant.com, the only difference is the wheelset and groupo. I have scraped up enough money for the 3 but can't round up anymore to jump to the 2 right now. I have only ridden Rival (about 30 miles) and Ultegra (bout 10 miles today on demo bikes). Is the performance of the 105 groupset going to make me wish I would have waited and gotten the Advanced 2, if I buy the Advanced 3 right now? I really don't want to wait till this fall (which I would to get the 2) and I really believe that down the road I want to be riding SRAM Force (think SRAM felt better to me).

Will 105 last and perform will for a year or 2 till I can make the switch to force?

Thoughts/opinions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Yes, You'll be fine on 105 for a year or two or even longer. 105 is the bottom end of the good stuff.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I am just trying to convince myself it is ok to drop a bunch of $$$ (to me at least) on a new toy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
ddhartzell said:
thanks. I am just trying to convince myself it is ok to drop a bunch of $$$ (to me at least) on a new toy.
The dropping of $$$ has only just begun my friend. Its a bottomless pit of a black hole sucking the money out of your wallet as you try to satisfy your new addiction. :p But not to worry that's why we work right?:confused:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, my wife wants to know when I am getting a hobby that doesn't require consistent cash flow. Paintball to mtn bike to road bike........and on and on and on

·
Banned
203 Posts
ddhartzell said:
yeah, my wife wants to know when I am getting a hobby that doesn't require consistent cash flow. Paintball to mtn bike to road bike........and on and on and on
Go into her closet. Count the pairs of shoes that she has. Go into your closet. Count the pairs of shoes that you have. Spend accordingly.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Streamwood Steve said:
Go into her closet. Count the pairs of shoes that she has. Go into your closet. Count the pairs of shoes that you have. Spend accordingly.
Got to say that is a beautiful idea. Let me know how that works out for you. I'm not willing to risk sleeping in the big bed for that! Besides I have to money pit hobbies and if her buying shoes keeps her out of my hair more power to her. Try supporting as cycling anda Fishing addiction in the same household. It's really hard and I haven't found a 12 step program or it yet!

·
Registered
482 Posts
jd3 said:
Yes, You'll be fine on 105 for a year or two or even longer. 105 is the bottom end of the good stuff.
LOL. I have bikes with Tiagra/105/Ultegra and the only difference is weight. They all shift the same, and the durability is identical. I have 5000 miles on the Tiagra bike (winter and rain bike, Giant OCR2), and it's on the original equipment.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
Get the TCR 3 and put any extra money towards a decent wheelset down the road.

Many a local race has been won on 105. I ride Ultegra right now, but I wouldn't feel bad at all going with 105 parts to save a bit of money.

I have a set of Aksiums for my commuter bike (on the TCR 2), and I can tell you they are dogs, so no loss there if you get the TCR 3. You'll want to upgrade either wheelset at some point.

I'd rather ride 105 with a nice wheelset than Ultegra with so-so wheels.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
jorgy said:
Get the TCR 3 and put any extra money towards a decent wheelset down the road.

Many a local race has been won on 105. I ride Ultegra right now, but I wouldn't feel bad at all going with 105 parts to save a bit of money.

I have a set of Aksiums for my commuter bike (on the TCR 2), and I can tell you they are dogs, so no loss there if you get the TCR 3. You'll want to upgrade either wheelset at some point.

I'd rather ride 105 with a nice wheelset than Ultegra with so-so wheels.
You arnt kidding. For the weight savings spend about 10 minutes of private time (get it) before the riding and you can loose that much weight.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the shoe counting wont work cause she really doesnt shop that much but lucky enough we just bought new bedroom furniture and i was happy with the old stuff so.......
Main issue is that I am back in school full time after 9 yrs in Marines Corps. The whole single income family, full time student is the arugement, hehe.....

I am bout 99.99999% this is my plan: Buy the Advanced 3, then have santa bring me a new wheel set. Then probably ride the 105 a year or so and worry about the groupset then.

Thanks for the input

·
Potatoes
1,402 Posts
FYI, Shimano will be releasing a new Ultegra groupset some time later this year.

Meaning that if you're prepared to wait a little longer you may be able to pick up the '2' on the cheap because of the outgoing model year and Ultegra gruppo.

My first road bike had full 105 that was never a problem for me. I do notice the difference between the groupsets but it's more about speed of shifts and of course weight. But I'm no racer and it really doesn't effect my performance/enjoyment on the bike. Personally a DA or Ultegra chain/cassette will last longer though, but you can still find perfectly running 105 equipped bikes from 10 years ago- the key is just good regular maintenance.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I just bought the TCR Advanced 3 and the 105 in black is wicked. Shifts very nicely and I'm coming from Sram Rival. Don't worry, the bike is a great deal at only 2500 bucks.

The 3 has all black CXP rims which look really nice as well since the whole grouppo is black...

The 2 has the silver aksiums, not as nice looking. The 2 also has the blue lettering which just doesn't look cool either.

The 105 will last 10 years at least. Don't worry.

This is not a new roadie guy bike, congratulations!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Patience is not one of my virtues, and to tell you the truth, I just dont want to wait anymore. I sold my 2 month old mtn bike last summer to get a road bike but ended up needing a new car instead so I have been bike less since Sept and tired of it.

Hooben:

Any regrets/worries/concerns with the TCR? I am sure I am gonna be happy, just scared bout the price!!!! Since this is my first road bike, I am concerned about going with the "competition" geometry over the "performance" geometry. During my demo rides yesterday, I rode all 3 (Defy, Advanced, Advanced SL) and the Advanced felt best to me. I am just worried that I may change my mind after some time in the saddle. I would feel much better if I had so serious time to riding to make a more informed judgement.

·
Banned
203 Posts
Consider used

If money and potential "buyer's remorse" are that much of a concern you might want to consider a used bike. There are alot of $2500 carbon/full DA bikes out there that are only a couple of years old. Check out the classifieds on this website or ebay. You would have to do a little homework on frame specs but if it doesn't fit you should be able to resell it for little or no loss. I just got a 2003 full carbon Look with 7700/7800 DA for $900 off of ebay. If it doesn't work for me after a few months I won't be out too much if I sell it and switch.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just hate to do the ebay thing with my first bike. I don't want to end up with something with a crack somewhere that leaves me screw and out the cash in a month or 2. Plus the shop will give me free adjustments for 5 years. Since I know nothing about maint. or adjusting right now, I like having that until I learn what I am doing.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
ddhartzell said:
I just hate to do the ebay thing with my first bike. I don't want to end up with something with a crack somewhere that leaves me screw and out the cash in a month or 2. Plus the shop will give me free adjustments for 5 years. Since I know nothing about maint. or adjusting right now, I like having that until I learn what I am doing.
I also think it's a good idea to buy new. Get the warranty.

As to price, $2500 (retail listed on Giant's website) does seem a bit high--but not crazy high--for a carbon bike with 105. For comparison, Specialized's Tarmac Elite is $2200.

If the bike fits and you like how it rides, I wouldn't worry about it being 'racing' geometry.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wonder if it is a sign from above.....I live in Alabama and got covered up with snow today. Good road bike weather??!?!?!?! hehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi ddhartzell. I Googled "105 vs Ultegra" and found this thread. I am in the same predicament as you are since I am about to purchase a Giant TCR Advanced (2 or 3?) as my first roadbike. Only difference is that it's probably a lot cheaper here (Philippines). (Adv 3 = $1,687, Adv 2 = $2,078).

Looking at the feedback, I might go with the Adv 3.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Get the 3. Spend the difference on better wheels. You'll notice the difference in the wheels before you will notice the difference in the Gruppo. I bought A TCRC3 last year. It's a wonderful bike.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.