Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of youz who've used both 10 and 11 speed shimano chains, have you noticed the 11s gets elongated much quicker?

I definitely have to the tune of about 500 or more miles quicker, however it's not a fair comparison because my 10s bike is a road bike I ride in mostly decent weather and the 11s is a cross bike that gets ridden in cross like conditions. So I'd like to get a second opinion for someone who can talk apple vs apples.

The reason I want to know is I'd like to just buy a bunch of 11s chains to use for both 11 and 10 to take out the guess work out of which to buy how many of (I buy a bunch of chains when I see a good sale).......but I'll stick with 10s chains for 10s if they do indeed last a lot longer.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I can't see any appreciable difference, but there's so many variables it would be hard to really verify (including having a precise wear limit threshold for changing). Even if I could see a bias, I just don't go through enough chains to build enough of a data base to see any correlation. Last chain I replaced on my road bike had 4700 miles on it and it was still within reasonable pin to pin length over 12 inches so if I saw 500 miles difference between chain life, that would be 10% and all the variables surely could stack up to more than that.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I put an 11 speed chain on my 10s bike after posting this so I guess I'll find out for myself. I wasn't smart enough to think of just doing that to begin with.

I tried it out on a 60 mile ride and shifting is perfect by the way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts