Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10-speed FSA SL-K carbon crankset that I want to put on my 9-speed dura-ace time trial bike with bar-end shifters. Can anyone tell me if the spacing of the front chainrings will accomodate a 9-speed chain?

Also, I'm assuming that the outboard-bearing FSA crank is stiffer than a 9-speed dura-ace crank (which is why I want to make the change), is this correct?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I upgraded my 9 sp Campy drivetrain to 10 speed and changed everything out except the crankset. So I believe that cranksets can be used with either 9sp or 10 sp.

·
Registered
155 Posts
arthurmcw said:
I upgraded my 9 sp Campy drivetrain to 10 speed and changed everything out except the crankset. So I believe that cranksets can be used with either 9sp or 10 sp.
Cheezhead is doing the exact opposite to what you have done. He's likely to running a 9 speed chain on 10 speed chainrings. This could result in problems because the chainrings are designed to use a slightly narrower chain. I admit i dont know the answer to the question, i am interested in the answer myself.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Piles said:
Cheezhead is doing the exact opposite to what you have done. He's likely to running a 9 speed chain on 10 speed chainrings. This could result in problems because the chainrings are designed to use a slightly narrower chain. I admit i dont know the answer to the question, i am interested in the answer myself.
ACTUALLY, the plan is to put on 55/42 9-speed chainrings on the 10-speed cranks. My concern is if there will be enough spacing between the chainrings for the 9-speed chain.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
The FSA SLK and any other shimano chainrings are not gearing specific and can be used with both 9 and 10 speed chains and drivetrains.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm running a 10 speed chorus crank with 9 speed chain / RD. I have experienced zero problems with the set up. I believe the difference in spacing is only .4mm (outer ring is machined .4mm thinner to be closer to the inner ring).

Don't know about FSA but I would assume it to be similar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts