Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what is the correct application for 10speed cassetts on 9speed shimano wheels. I guess what I want to know is it ok to use a 10 speed shimano cassett on a shimano hub that was originally 9 speed?

·
Registered
75 Posts
goshawk1 said:
Can someone tell me what is the correct application for 10speed cassetts on 9speed shimano wheels. I guess what I want to know is it ok to use a 10 speed shimano cassett on a shimano hub that was originally 9 speed?
Yes, it will work

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
10 speed cassettes

work fine on 9 speed hubs. It is working for me on a DA 7700 hub and an old DA hub that has a freehub for uniglide cogs. Just be sure to use the spacer included with the cassette before you put the cassette on. There should be no long term to the cassette.

·
Registered
37 Posts
8,9,10 all the same

Shimano 8, 9, and 10 speed freehubs are all the same. Except the 10sp DuraAce, which will only take a 10 speed cassette. You can put your 10 speed cassette on any 8-9-10 wheel.

·
Registered
425 Posts
But,

If I'm not mistaken, the 9 spd STI can only be used with a 9 cogset & a 10 spd STI can only be used with a 10 cogset. In other words, although you can place either a 9 or 10 cogset on the freewheel, you cannot go from 9 to 10 spd (or vice versa) without also changing the STI shifters (& chain).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts