Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Total capacity

Sablotny said:
I'm ready to pounce on an 11-28 Power Dome as soon as they appear... Anybody know if the 11-28 will mesh with the short cage DA RD?
It will depend on what difference you have between your chain rings. Short cage derailleurs can wrap a certain amount of chain, and you are likely going to exceed the capacity of a short cage derailleur by adding a 14 tooth delta in the front to a 17 tooth (thats 31, and the capacity is 29). This assumes a 53/39 in front. The specifications say that the maximum cog size is 27t, but lots of people have run larger than 27 without problems. If you're willing to avoid the smallest cassette cogs in the 39 chain ring, then you can get by with the DA derailleur, though it may not be optimal.

As an aside, only you can look in the mirror and state that you actually need a 53/11 gear (spins out at over 40 mph) when it is faster downhill to coast than pedal any time you get over 35 mph. In my not so humble experience, people strong enough to spin out an 11 VERY rarely need a 28 to climb hills.

· Climbin' Clyde
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked in the mirror

and realized that I'd surely take an 11-28 if I could make it work, but I don't really need one to ride my bike. I've turned some old road bikes into townies and had problems getting a 28t top cog to fit older Shimano/Sun Tour shortcage derailleurs, guess it would probably be the same deal with DA10.

Just wondered if anybody had tried it yet.

· Registered
3,477 Posts
I ride a 11-28 with both Force and Rival short-cage (they only make short cage) RDs. I've also ridden Ultegra and DA RDs with 11-28s without any issues. Of course, I am running a 50/34 compact up front, so I'm sure that effects the chain travel and such.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.