Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all

I ride compact Ultegra with 50-34 front and 11-28 rear cluster.

My riding buddy prefers to keep his standard 53-39 front rings but he wants the low climbing gear too.
On SRAM there is 11-32 rear cluster which with a 53-39 front gives the same ratio on low 39-32 gear as my compact does on 34-28.

The problem is - my buddy does NOT have SRAM. He has two bikes with standard 53-39 front rings. One is Campagnolo Centaur and one is Shimano Ultegra.

My question is: is there a 11-32 rear cluster/cassette and an accommodating rear derailleur solution for Campagnolo or Shimano in year 2013 ? Some sort of medium-cage rear derailleur perhaps?

thanks!

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
The problem is - my buddy does NOT have SRAM. He has two bikes with standard 53-39 front rings. One is Campagnolo Centaur and one is Shimano Ultegra.

My question is: is there a 11-32 rear cluster/cassette and an accommodating rear derailleur solution for Campagnolo or Shimano in year 2013 ? Some sort of medium-cage rear derailleur perhaps?

thanks!
You would have to dig deeper for derailleur information, but Campagnolo has a 12-30 cassette in 10sp Centaur and the biggest Campagnolo-compatible Miche is 29.

The official Campagnolo web site - Bicycle Parts and Components Cycling

Componenti per Cicli, Ruote Bici da Corsa, Ruote MTB | Miche, Componenti per Cicli

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
For the Shimano, you can use the SRAM cassette.

With the rear derailleur, there is the 6700-A version that accomodates a 30T, which some have adjusted for a 32T. Otherwise, you would have to use a 9-speed mountain bike rear derailleur a XT-level (which would approximate an Ultegra level)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
When touring I switch my Dura Ace rear der with 12x25 to a Shimano mt bike 10 spd cluster 11X34 & a Shimano my bike rear der. Works perfectly.

·
Cathedral City, CA
910 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts