Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard from an experienced bike mechanic that the Campy 11-speed chain works great with Shimano 10-speed drive trains. He is recommending them as replacements. Has anyone else had experience with this setup?

·
Registered
614 Posts
No but I have seen a 11 speed casstte with the 17 tooth sprocket taken out and replaced with a spacer running with 10speed sram. Seemed smooth enough but was only going to be used for a short distance as the other cassette was being used elsewhere.

·
all the gear - no idea
267 Posts
careful...

don't some shimano 10 speed drivetrains require a shimano specific 'one way only' asymmetric chain?

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
No, no experience myself.
I'd believe the mechanic as far as it working goes but given that shimano, and other, chains work perfectly fine with shimao 10 speed drive trains I probably wouldn't pay extra to for a solution to a non existant problem. (I'm only guessing that the campy chains cost more)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
charlieboy said:
don't some shimano 10 speed drivetrains require a shimano specific 'one way only' asymmetric chain?
Not a requirement—the one-way feature on the chain is supposed to "improve shifting" even more. If there's nothing really new to report, Shimano's marketing writers always fall back on "improved shifting".

More seriously, I think the Campy chain recommendation is based on the widely held notion (at least in Europe) that Campy chains last a little longer than anyone else's. But I'm not sure why the 11-speed would work any better than the 10-speed Campy chain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts