Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I broke an 11 speed Campy chain last night and was up a creek without a paddle. I know I should have lubed after a long, dusty ride . . . but now I'm wondering what everyone here does, or what people carry to avoid on road disaters. I hear the chain tool is pricey.

Thanks.

· classiquesklassieker
3,113 Posts
Pablo said:
Hi all,

I broke an 11 speed Campy chain last night and was up a creek without a paddle. I know I should have lubed after a long, dusty ride . . . but now I'm wondering what everyone here does, or what people carry to avoid on road disaters. I hear the chain tool is pricey.

Thanks.
I assume that you are based in the US. You can buy the official Campy 11sp chain tool for US$150 from Ribble. They are not portable.

Some tool manufacturers like Park and Pedro's already do have or are releasing a revised chain tool that can handle Campy 11sp chains. So I think it is just a matter of time before they have a portable version.

Personally I usually carry only a small mini folding kit that doesn't have a chain tool on it. I have a big one from Topeak that I carry on long rides, that has a chain tool on it, but it is too old to even know what an 11sp groupset is.

Edit: http://www.pedros.com/multitools.htm The Tulio does have 11sp tools, it claims.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
thoughts..

How did the chain "break"? Did a pin other than the joining pin pull out of an outer plate?

The cure for that is a protable chain tool and a decently fitting master link. The KMC link for a Campy 10 chain will work.

The only problem that I've seen with older chain tools is the U-shaped center support will needs a little filing so it allows the outer plate to rest against the back of the tool. File the drive pin side and any chain tool should work with 11 speed, at least to break the chain.

Finding a portable tool that could flare the end of a Campy joining pin is another matter. I don't know of any.

Personally, I don't carry a chain tool and I've never had a chain break in 26 years of riding. I do carry a spare master link, but it won't do me any good unless a master link is what breaks.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C-40 said:
How did the chain "break"? Did a pin other than the joining pin pull out of an outer plate?

The cure for that is a protable chain tool and a decently fitting master link. The KMC link for a Campy 10 chain will work.

The only problem that I've seen with older chain tools is the U-shaped center support will needs a little filing so it allows the outer plate to rest against the back of the tool. File the drive pin side and any chain tool should work with 11 speed, at least to break the chain.

Finding a portable tool that could flare the end of a Campy joining pin is another matter. I don't know of any.

Personally, I don't carry a chain tool and I've never had a chain break in 26 years of riding. I do carry a spare master link, but it won't do me any good unless a master link is what breaks.
I'd rather not spend a bunch of money to avoid a fluke probelm that will likely never happen again. A master link might be what I need. You suggest the KMC 10-speed link? Do you have a source?

It looked from the "break" that one of the outside plates popped off the pin and the torque of the pedalling pulled them apart.

I was really suprised by the break, as I've never had one break road riding before. I suspet it may have something to do with the fact that I neglected to re-lube my chain after an 8-hour dirt road ride in dry, dusty conditions (yes, 8 hours, it's along story) the day before.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.