Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Campy 11 speed time-trial groupset is out?

When will it be available?

Moreover, do you think a 10 speed chain ring will accept an 11 speed chain flowing to an 11 speed cassette, since many riders use 9 speed chains on 10 speed groupset?

I'm thinking of setting up a TT bike but the lack of 11 speed TT groupset is frustrating since I already own 11 speed Chorus.

Finally, which tribars are better: those with straight front ends or with front ends slightly curved upwards?

Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
An 9 speed chain is wider in the links than an 10 speed chainring so it will work, an 11 speed chain is narrower than an 10 speed chainring should allow. Most of the new campy parts from memory say 11 speed only on them so I wouldn't recommend you try it. The chain alone is probably the most fragile bit of gear (Had had a few headaches when installing our first 11 speed kits).

Can't imagine the TT shifters would be far away. How often are you needing 25/27 in your TT's though?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jack.campbell said:
An 9 speed chain is wider in the links than an 10 speed chainring so it will work, an 11 speed chain is narrower than an 10 speed chainring should allow. Most of the new campy parts from memory say 11 speed only on them so I wouldn't recommend you try it. The chain alone is probably the most fragile bit of gear (Had had a few headaches when installing our first 11 speed kits).

Can't imagine the TT shifters would be far away. How often are you needing 25/27 in your TT's though?
Thanks for your feedback!

I have Campy Record 10 and Campy Centaur 10 on separate bikes. In 2003, while racing in Belgium I was told to use 9 speed chain since it is stronger and less expensive than 10 speed chain. So, since the TT parts are not out yet, do you think is would be ok to use a 10 speed chain on a 10 speed chain ring, 11 speed cassette and 11 speed rear derailleur?

I'm thinking of buying FSA TT chain/crankset with 54/42 or 55/42 and 11-23 (Chorus 11).

I currently have 11-25 (11 speed Chorus) on my new race bike, but as you said 25 is too much (could not find 11-23 in February here in China).

·
Registered
33 Posts
No probs mate,

In regards to the 10 speed chain thrown over an 11 speed cassette it might work but it will be noisy. Its was a brief headache but the 11 speed pilot snapped off the pin when putting the chain on with a non 11 speed chain breaker (specific tool needed), so a 10 speed pin was tried as I had a few spare and while it worked for joining the super record chain, it made ticking noise when ever that joined link came in to contact with the cassette. Fixed the problem, joined it with a new 11 speed link and the only noise was that of campag goodness. A full chain of this width would probably sound unbearable and I am unsure of the shifting performance/wear it would cause but I don't think its a good idea.

Just my experience with the 11 speed groups so far(This was all from our first trial at fitting the new Super without the correct equipment(Chain Break)) Each encounter since has been pretty good but its highly tuned stuff, very little room for error.

I would hang back a little bit longer if you can and wait for the TT components to arrive, Its racing season in Europe now so no doubt they will start putting it out there in time for the Grand Tours, if its not already, and I imagine it will trickle down to the punters in no time..

Jack

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
no...

A 10 speed chain will not shift well at all with an 11 speed cassette. The 10 speed chainrings won't hurt a thing.

There's no way to have an 11 speed TT setup until Campy comes out with the 11 speed bar end shifters.

G

·
I have been curious to try a shimano bar end shifter in friction mode with an otherwise 11 speed setup to see how it would work. Probably be fine on something like a Ghilbi setup but I don't know if there is enough throw if you had all 11 gears.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
kytyree said:
I have been curious to try a shimano bar end shifter in friction mode with an otherwise 11 speed setup to see how it would work. Probably be fine on something like a Ghilbi setup but I don't know if there is enough throw if you had all 11 gears.
I think that Ghilbi discs use a nine cog "ten speed" cassette due to the length of the freehub. Ten cogs won't fit so they use nine with ten speed spacing. Pro TT bikes are so specialized and infrequently used that they are usually equipped with older components.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

jack.campbell said:
No probs mate,

In regards to the 10 speed chain thrown over an 11 speed cassette it might work but it will be noisy. Its was a brief headache but the 11 speed pilot snapped off the pin when putting the chain on with a non 11 speed chain breaker (specific tool needed), so a 10 speed pin was tried as I had a few spare and while it worked for joining the super record chain, it made ticking noise when ever that joined link came in to contact with the cassette. Fixed the problem, joined it with a new 11 speed link and the only noise was that of campag goodness. A full chain of this width would probably sound unbearable and I am unsure of the shifting performance/wear it would cause but I don't think its a good idea.

Just my experience with the 11 speed groups so far(This was all from our first trial at fitting the new Super without the correct equipment(Chain Break)) Each encounter since has been pretty good but its highly tuned stuff, very little room for error.

I would hang back a little bit longer if you can and wait for the TT components to arrive, Its racing season in Europe now so no doubt they will start putting it out there in time for the Grand Tours, if its not already, and I imagine it will trickle down to the punters in no time..

Jack
Thanks for your help. I will take your advice and wait. Please send me a message here if you know that the 11 speed TT parts are out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so...

C-40 said:
A 10 speed chain will not shift well at all with an 11 speed cassette. The 10 speed chainrings won't hurt a thing.

There's no way to have an 11 speed TT setup until Campy comes out with the 11 speed bar end shifters.
thanks for your advice... so it is not the case as in 9 speed chain working fine on 10 speed cassette?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts