Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
kestrel03 said:
has everyone voiced their dealings with 11 speed dot com? thanks
I was just about to...shipping was cheaper than eBay usually is and faster than Jenson. I ordered a Hope seapost clamp from Jenson; if arrived in nine calendar days. I ordered rims (Ambrosio) and cranks (Record) from an eBay store; it cost $18 and took eight calendar days.

I ordered Look KEOs ($108), Chorus rear D ($135), cassette ($82), Record chain ($25) from 11Speed, and they arrive in four calendar days - including a weekend! Shipping to Colorado was $15.10. The only weird thing was that they shipped in a UPS bag, so they got rid of the boxes for all the Campy stuff. Pedals arrived in a box, though. Boxes or not, everything was flawless. Besides, I don't need any more little boxes.

·
Forza Petacchi!
110 Posts
SDizzle said:
I was just about to...shipping was cheaper than eBay usually is and faster than Jenson. I ordered a Hope seapost clamp from Jenson; if arrived in nine calendar days. I ordered rims (Ambrosio) and cranks (Record) from an eBay store; it cost $18 and took eight calendar days.

I ordered Look KEOs ($108), Chorus rear D ($135), cassette ($82), Record chain ($25) from 11Speed, and they arrive in four calendar days - including a weekend! Shipping to Colorado was $15.10. The only weird thing was that they shipped in a UPS bag, so they got rid of the boxes for all the Campy stuff. Pedals arrived in a box, though. Boxes or not, everything was flawless. Besides, I don't need any more little boxes.

SD,
Any import/duties issues or fees?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
ElDuderino said:
SD,
Any import/duties issues or fees?
Nope. Unless I'm waiting for a bill from UPS and don't know it...

Jackie Treehorn draws a lot of water in this town.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i ordered a cassette, chain and saddle on a sunday a week ago and recieved it 4 days later. no duty applied. I try to keep the orders under $200 to try to avoid the duty tax. got this from the totalcycling site: Parcel Force - Any orders shipped to the USA using Parcel Force will be duty free if they are under $200. So even if that means multiple orders days apart i try to keep it under $200.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just received an order. 3 days to california! Unfortunately not all is perfect...

Got stung by duty. Purchased Chorus shifters, Centaur RD, brakes, cassette and chain. About $460 all together. COD customs duty of $52. Cassette was not in the box. Just sent out an email and I assume they will do right on the cassette...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was a little hesitent to go overseas with my business, but couldn't pass on the savings.
I just received my order to Wisconsin in 3 days (placed order on Tuesday morning). Centaur RD, Centaur cassette (12-25), Chorus cassette (11-23), lockring, chain, and a new set of Look cleats. Total of $310 with shipping. I did not encounter VAT/duty charges! The Centaur items were shipped without the original Campy boxes, but are definately new. The chorus cassette arrived in box and the other items arrived in their respective original packaging.

Thanks to everyone here for the recommendation - I figured I saved around $150 for the total order. :D

I will DEFINITELY do business again with this retailer!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah, I am wondering about the duty. Especially as I got charged about 12% which seems excessive? Why do some people get charged and others not.

Also, on the 3rd day here, no responses about my missing cassette from 11speed....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Gunther said:
Not all items are subject to import duty.
See http://www.totalcycling.com/article/mcs/art/6/v/070215c8-beb1-4510-b8cd-492a0977c58e

11speed sounds like a promising source for the new Chorus goodies I need.

GtB

That chart is fine, but I couldn't take my package from UPS until I gave them a check for 12%. I guess I can work at getting that back, but I have to somehow convince UPS that they shouldn't have charged me. I also got charged on duty for missing items.

11 Speed has also still not gotten back to me about the missing cassette. Starting to get worried.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
is the 12 percent brokerage fees?

Avoid having UPS or any other courier deliver items internationally because they will charge additional BROKERAGE fees on top of duty, tax, etc. It is best to have them use a courier that will deliver through United States Postal Service. I believe UK cycling shops like totalcyling or probikekit deliver via Parcel Force which transfers the goods to USPS upon arrival to the United States.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like everything is going to work out,

It took a while to get through to the guys at 11speed, but they are forwarding my cassette currently, so my order is completed, and it is at a fantastic price.

Of course, the price is offset by the fees I paid to pick up. Not sure how/why this happens to some and not others. Looking at the documentation, the above poster is correct, I paid UPS brokerage fees, not duty on the items. I have no idea how you would get 11speed to ship one way or the other.

·
Registered
20 Posts
snowbound said:
It took a while to get through to the guys at 11speed, but they are forwarding my cassette currently, so my order is completed, and it is at a fantastic price.

Of course, the price is offset by the fees I paid to pick up. Not sure how/why this happens to some and not others. Looking at the documentation, the above poster is correct, I paid UPS brokerage fees, not duty on the items. I have no idea how you would get 11speed to ship one way or the other.

I'm very interested in the "brokerage fees" that you had to pay UPS per your order from 11speed.com...By my reading of the UPS site's section on brokerage fees, it would seem that the seller or "shipper" is responsible for these fees...My reason for thinking this is that the article is written to the shipper [as I read it], and I would think that 11speed.com is supposed to pay those fees...Maybe a screw up on UPS' part [explains why no one else had to pay these fees] and 11speed.com might reimburse you for paying THEIR expense.

I'm going to order a groupset from 11speed in the near future and I would love to hear what you find out regarding your situation.

Anyone else have any ideas on why he had to pay those fees?

Here's the info from UPS' site:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/select/receiving/customs/index.html
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/select/receiving/customs/fees.html

Hope this helps

-Boomer

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
please reply after you get your order back, thanks for the replys already..

boomersooner4900 said:
I'm very interested in the "brokerage fees" that you had to pay UPS per your order from 11speed.com...By my reading of the UPS site's section on brokerage fees, it would seem that the seller or "shipper" is responsible for these fees...My reason for thinking this is that the article is written to the shipper [as I read it], and I would think that 11speed.com is supposed to pay those fees...Maybe a screw up on UPS' part [explains why no one else had to pay these fees] and 11speed.com might reimburse you for paying THEIR expense.

I'm going to order a groupset from 11speed in the near future and I would love to hear what you find out regarding your situation.

Anyone else have any ideas on why he had to pay those fees?

Here's the info from UPS' site:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/select/receiving/customs/index.html
https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/select/receiving/customs/fees.html

Hope this helps

-Boomer

·
Registered
464 Posts
Good folks at 11speed

Based on some of the comments here, and of course the great prices at 11speed, went ahead and placed an order.

They shipped the order within 2 days of receiving it and I received the order here in Boston within 5 business days 0 and this is from Italy! Heck, I can't get that kind of service from most places here in the states (and this was standard delivery).

As for import fees and the like, so far so good, none were charged to me (yet - fingers tightly crossed) and this was for an order of ~1000 euros.

BTW, picked up the new Campy Eurus 2006 - Wow, are these a nice set of wheels and built like a brick sh*t house. The price for the set at 11speed (includes everything - skewers, wheelbags, magnetic pick-up etc): ~$590. :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
snowbound said:

Any more updates on the brokerage fees? I'm inch's away from placing an order for a Chorus Carbon CT groupset.

Repartocorse
$1213 comes with cable kit
+ shipping

11speed
$959.90
no mention of cable kit
+ possible currency exhange fees from credit card
+ import duties (should not have any)
+ brokerage fees
+ shipping

The lower listing price on 11speed is very tempting but those unknowns scare me a bit. I'm afraid I could end up paying nearly the same in the end with 11speed and having to go through a lot more headaches to get there.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've had great luck with both Total Cycling and 11speed.com 4 days from the date of my order until it was at my doorstep. No duty or brokerage fees. My total cycling order came USPS and my 11speed.com came Fedex.

11speed carries a bunch of OEM stuff, so it doesn't come in boxes. I don't care, but if you must have a box, order elsewhere.

Has anyone asked 11speed for a special order? For instance they carry the Vento wheels and the Zondas but not Scirrocos. I figure this is based on what they can get OEM, but if someone has been able to get them to do special orders, please let us know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
carb850 said:
Any more updates on the brokerage fees? I'm inch's away from placing an order for a Chorus Carbon CT groupset.

Repartocorse
$1213 comes with cable kit
+ shipping

11speed
$959.90
no mention of cable kit
+ possible currency exhange fees from credit card
+ import duties (should not have any)
+ brokerage fees
+ shipping

The lower listing price on 11speed is very tempting but those unknowns scare me a bit. I'm afraid I could end up paying nearly the same in the end with 11speed and having to go through a lot more headaches to get there.

Any thoughts?
Just sent you an email, but I'll post it for others too...According to 11speed's "terms and conditions" page they accept US dollars, so there shouldn't encounter any currency exchange fees from the Credit Card company...Quote from 11speed.com:

Payment Methods:
BY CREDIT CARD: the orders have to be paid only with Euro or USD and we accept only VISA or MASTERCARD. When you select this kind of payment,you’ll enter directly in communication with our bank: Banca Sella Spa. It is necessary for you to include : number account card (always 16 digits), expiration date (month/year), holdersname and sign.

·
Registered
150 Posts
boomersooner4900 said:
...According to 11speed's "terms and conditions" page they accept US dollars, so there shouldn't encounter any currency exchange fees from the Credit Card company...Quote from 11speed.com:

Payment Methods:
BY CREDIT CARD: the orders have to be paid only with Euro or USD and we accept only VISA or MASTERCARD.
Uh, I think what this means is that they will quote you the price in USD, and essentially charge you that number of Euro that will result in a charge of the quoted number of USD. Essentially, the vendor is taking the risk of intervening currency rate fluctuations. But as far as your credit card comany is concerned, you're still translating USD into Euro, and they will still charge you the curently translation fee (3% with both Visa and MC when I checked on Wed of last week). For instance, Maestro does the same thing. When I paid my down payment of a quoted USD$300, that charge showed up on my card, but so did the 3% currency translation charge. No free lunches.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hillen said:
Uh, I think what this means is that they will quote you the price in USD, and essentially charge you that number of Euro that will result in a charge of the quoted number of USD. Essentially, the vendor is taking the risk of intervening currency rate fluctuations. But as far as your credit card comany is concerned, you're still translating USD into Euro, and they will still charge you the curently translation fee (3% with both Visa and MC when I checked on Wed of last week). For instance, Maestro does the same thing. When I paid my down payment of a quoted USD$300, that charge showed up on my card, but so did the 3% currency translation charge. No free lunches.
I have not purchased oversee's before, but the few searchs I have did on the topic came up with exactly what your saying. It seems as if some customers might not be getting charged this fee or maybe not notice it.

For my purchase, 11speed is still probably cheaper but just not sure by how much. In the worst case scenerio it could be about the same price. Also, I would rather deal with someone that had a phone number in case I had a problem with my order. For those reasons I plan on ordering from Repartocorse tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts