Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BT, wishing you ride safe
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, finally the day arrived. The long waited ride around Lake Okeechobee. I think I trained well, prepared, ate properly, and kept hydrated ok. But I bonked anyway. I think I know why. Read on.

We arrived at John Strayer Park at 6 AM. About 50 actually showed.

The mosquitoes were having a field day. The humidity was 99%. It was pitch black and the stars were amazing. We got ready and started at about 6.30. The bugs were pelting us, but we were outrunning the mosquitoes. We slowly got up to th 20 - 22 pace, but every 10 mi or so there were barriers that we had to slow down to a crawl and pass single file. It really slowed the pace and strung out the group. Strong riders in the front took off and the weaker riders in the back had trouble catching up.

I flatted about 4 mi before the first rest stop. Overall the group had 9 flats. Lunch came at mi 65, and I forgot to fill up my water bottles. About 8 mi before the next rest I ran out of water. Mark, one of the guys from my club, shared an extra bottle with me.

The final stop came at mile 95 so there was 20 mi to go. I thought I was the oldest rider on the ride, but there was a guy, Tom, 66. He got a slow start after that stop, so I pulled him up to the group after about 5 miles. That kinda wore me out. I did good on the center of the peloton, but after the gate at mile 105 I couldn't catch up to the main group, so I dropped. I rode the last 15 mi solo, and slowed the pace down for the last 5 mi to get my heart rate down and cool off.

I finished about 15 min. after the main pack, but still head of about 10 of the riders.

here's the link:115 mi ride

Facebook Photo Links:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=1087920&id=1652573607&ref=fbx_album
http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=87283&id=1141512014&page=2

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
That's a long ride. You did well except for your liquid intake. When I ride, winter or summer, I drink. A lot! At the end of a ride is there's more than 10 miles left & I'm out of water or Gatorade I panic. Forgetting to fill bottles when you can is a serious mistake, which you now know.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow well done on a great ride

I am amazed at how flat that ride is ?
I am about to do a similar type of ride just a little longer at 128miles on oct 17
Called Around the bay (Port Phillip Bay Melbourne Au) it is an organised event with participant numbers of 15000 ppl plus (not all doing the longer rides)

so your info has been put into the memory bank
the problem i face is the hills that come into play at about the 80 mile mark lol
thats when i know i will be heading aout the back lol

Twiggy

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr. Versatile said:
That's a long ride. You did well except for your liquid intake. When I ride, winter or summer, I drink. A lot! At the end of a ride is there's more than 10 miles left & I'm out of water or Gatorade I panic. Forgetting to fill bottles when you can is a serious mistake, which you now know.
I made 2 errors on the ride.

The first one was not filling my water bottles at the 68 mi lunch stop. I had brought 4 bags of HEED too. Since the ride was a large group ride one of my club members was able to share some water and get me to the final water stop.

The second one was in positioning. Twice I had to pull one rider up to the peloton twice. The second time was after the final water stop, and it took me 5 miles and a bit too much of the dwindling reserves. When we reached the peloton I forgot to work my way up near the front. After we climbed the levee for the last time I had to wait to get through the gate. By then the peloton had started to accelerate and I didn't have it left to close the gap. After 5 mi I decided to just take it easy and cool down.

The organizer just posted a plan for a redo. This time it's a no holds barred no speed limit hammer-fest. I'll pass.

·
Registered
625 Posts
What I think is cool is that 2x you helped pull other guys back to the bunch. If you burned your matches doing that - well done.

Fwiw, the leaders attacking when the group is going single file through barriers seems lame to me.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
18 mph for 115 miles, I'll take that any day of the week.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Congrats on a great ride...

I think of bonking as bascially running out of available calories. From your water situation it sounds like there was some dehydration going on, too, but dehydration by itself isn't really bonking. If it was a bonk, taking in more calories along the way (or eating more just before the start) would have prevented what happened. At the pace you were riding, with the extra long pulls you took, there were ALOT of calories being burned. It's very hard to eat as many calories as you're burning at those levels of effort. The trick is to get (1) the calories inside you at the start plus (2) the calories you take in along the way to be (3) more than you burn before the end of the ride. This is a long way of saying I'm not sure you ate enough...

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AdamM said:
What I think is cool is that 2x you helped pull other guys back to the bunch. If you burned your matches doing that - well done.

Fwiw, the leaders attacking when the group is going single file through barriers seems lame to me.
Perhaps, but with the sun beating down on you at 90+ deg, it's damn hot. The only relief is to be moving. Standing still is unbearable. And with 50 riders, it takes quite a while for everyone to get thru the gates. It would have been nice if they had waited a little longer, but I kinda understand.

It would have been nice to stay in the pack and finished in under 6 hrs ride time but c'est la vie.

·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PdxMark said:
Congrats on a great ride...

I think of bonking as bascially running out of available calories. From your water situation it sounds like there was some dehydration going on, too, but dehydration by itself isn't really bonking. If it was a bonk, taking in more calories along the way (or eating more just before the start) would have prevented what happened. At the pace you were riding, with the extra long pulls you took, there were ALOT of calories being burned. It's very hard to eat as many calories as you're burning at those levels of effort. The trick is to get (1) the calories inside you at the start plus (2) the calories you take in along the way to be (3) more than you burn before the end of the ride. This is a long way of saying I'm not sure you ate enough...
Pdx, I find you post encouraging. I figured I was just drained from the heat. I don't think the hydration was an issue. While I did "run out" 10 miles before the final stop, a buddy shared enough that I was never without water.

After lunch, I don't remember taking any goo. I should have finished up the goo I had, and perhaps had a couple of shots honey too, and perhaps something else while at that gas station.

When I lost the wheel, the peloton was probably still going 20 -22. I can keep that pace in the 'heat of the peloton' and keep my HR at about 115. I can't keep 24+ into a 5-7 mph breeze for long enough to catch up. So I just gave up and poked along at 16.

I figured at 63 y/o I was just "too old"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts