Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just finished my 4th ride on my new Cross-Check. I must say, for the $, nothing can beat it that I know of. I got the fully-built one and tossed on some Shimano pedals, Selle Italia saddle, commuter tires and that's pretty much it.

Sure, compared to my 18 pound road bike (sold last year) it seems heavy, but who really cares? I keep it in the back of my car (back seat removed, along w/bike wheels) and I take this bike w/me everywhere. It's a great "beater" - being tough, you can give it some abuse without thinking twice about it - not like the "fragile" lightweight & more costly road bikes I used to own.

Sure, when I'm huffing & puffing up those long, steep mountains (okay, hills) in North Georgia this summer I'll be wanting a lighter weight bike & wheels, but for now, I just absolutley love this bike. Very, very comfortable - love it, love it, love it!!! I hope to have my first commute next week (~18 miles each way).

Thanks everyone for your comments, ideas & suggestions.

Happy, safe riding,

Steel_SSer

:)

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
Sweet. I've got my eyes on a Cross-Check in the quite distant future. Would be sweeet to build it fixed or SS. On the other hand, most the dirt stuff around here is in the mountains so may not be practical that way.

·
Registered
530 Posts
My Soma Double Cross is something like .45 pounds more feathery than a CC in the same size (according to the Interweb) but it's no lightweight either. And I still enjoy climbing on it.

Think of the great suffering we'd miss out on if our bikes were 16 pounds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put my 206th mile on this thing . . . here's how I carry it around in my car (see photo) . . . I remove the back seat & set the chainring on a piece of carpet and the fork on another piece of carpet.

I find taking it with me at all times, along with the other essentials (water bottle(s), riding pants, gloves, helmet, et cetera) provides me with more opportunities to ride - even if it's just a short, 30 or 45 minute out-n-back.

I'm using the "temporary pedals" clipped into the bottom half of my pedals - good for reflection.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. . . oops . . . here's the pic . . .

Happy riding,

Steel_SSer

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'89 Nissan Sentra - bought it for a dollar - it had been wrecked and totalled. The back left door doesn't open - the back left window has been glued shut (I did that - long story). This car has good tires, always fresh/clean oil and gets about 34 mpg on the highway - it's a five speed and I guess I run it on average about 75 mph - the spedometer cable broke in January of '05 - just another thing less to worry about. The "clear coat" has worn off, along with much of the paint - it's hideously ugly but the perfect car to park in a tight space because you really don't care if someone dings your door (ha). A large tree limb fell on the roof and there's a giant Bondo patch that's coming off in large pieces - exposing rust (this happened before I bought it).

The air conditioner works great - really great. There is no center console or radio/CD player - I bought one two years ago but haven't installed it yet. I'll probably get around to doing that this summer as I have two months off.

I will also probably replace the oil pan, gasket & oil pan fasteners this summer - that area is beginning to weep oil and the pan is quite banged up. I think this car has about 175K miles on it. I change the oil after every 8 tanks of gas (no speedometer/odometer).

Another great bonus: my teenage daughters really hate this car and detest being seen in it, which means I usually get out of having to haul them around.

The real operating cost of this car is very, very low. Including insurance, depreciation (ha), maintenance, gas & so forth, I'm at the very very low end of "money per mile". To me, this means I have the freedom to purchase nice bikes & equipment, ride more often and enjoy life.

Car payment = higher insurance + bondage

No car payment = lower insurance + freedom

I love this car - nobody else does.

Happy riding,

Steel_SSer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts