Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
all the gear - no idea
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a mix of 11 and 10 speeds as I'm gradually wearing out the 10 speed stuff (may take years!)

Is 11 speed chain OK on 10 speed chainsets?

And what about a 10 speed chain on an 11 speed chainset?

I'm not concerned about the the front and rear derailleusrs, just chains and chainsets.

Thanks for any info...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
info...

11 speed chains will work OK with 10 speed chainrings, but the 11 speed are a better fit, since the teeth are .1mm thinner. There's no problem with the fit of an 11 speed chain with 10 speed cogs, but why bother with a more expensive chain until you switch to the 11 speed cassette?

·
all the gear - no idea
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

C-40 said:
11 speed chains will work OK with 10 speed chainrings, but the 11 speed are a better fit, since the teeth are .1mm thinner. There's no problem with the fit of an 11 speed chain with 10 speed cogs, but why bother with a more expensive chain until you switch to the 11 speed cassette?
and 10 speed chain on 11 speed chainrings? no probs but not ideal too?

Sorry, I have three bikes in various states of 11isation - trying to juggle options here...

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
more...

charlieboy said:
and 10 speed chain on 11 speed chainrings? no probs but not ideal too?

Sorry, I have three bikes in various states of 11isation - trying to juggle options here...
The chains and chainrings/cranks will work either way.

The cheap way to convert to 11 speed is with just the shifters, cassette and chain, plus a small mod to the RD.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=160601

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was a guy in Italy selling an internal piece to convert your 10sp shifters to 11 with a 10 derailer, all you needed after that was a cassette and chain. A buddy of mine did it and it's working fine, however the guy made it no longer answers e-mails. Ya think Campy may have "taken care of him"?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts