Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Readng the different threads in this forum I'm interpreting the following. Please add comments/corrections/clarification based on your experience.

11speed:

*ships UPS
*adds shipping costs of 5-7%
*orders over $200 subject to customs/duty (approx 10%)
*orders under $200 not sure on customs/duty charges?
*are the comments about UPS COD for customs/duty charges

Probikekit:
*ships mail; USPS delivery in states
*no shipping charges to US
*unclear on duty/customs?

Thanks for the help sorting this out! Looking to order Centaur shifters about $120 11speed , $150ish probikekit. Trying to figure out which is the better place to order from (I know, may be splitting hairs....)

· Registered
841 Posts
I've had a couple of recent probikekit purchases--no customs duties were charged on tires. My understanding, and experience, says that none should be charged on components either; still, what happens at customs may vary according to labeling and who knows what.

· Registered
259 Posts
11Speed.com will ship Fed-Ex for sure(that's how my wheels were shipped) and said they'd ship regular post mail as well.
My wheels were $58 USD shipped to Alberta Canada, they shipped Monday and I received the following Monday. My probikekit orders have all taken about 10 days.
I'm not sure how Customs work down there.

· Registered
15 Posts
I made a order on 11speed.com on 6/12/06 and received them 6/14/06. Purchased a pair of Look KEO Carbon pedals ($107). Shipping was $15.XX dollars via UPS Express.

I also made a order on probikekit.com for two sets of bar tape ($15.XX). Free shipping took about 7 working days via USPS.

Overall, great experience. No customs duties but both orders were well under $200 dollars. I would def order from them again.

· Registered
357 Posts
My probikekit order was just under $200,and no duties were charged. Complete information (confusing though it is) is about customs issues is available here: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/import/infrequent_importer_info/internet_purchases.xml

Basically, customs goes by the declared items and values, and there is a database they use to determine duties based on a complicated set of rules. All the rules seem to have "generally" attached to them. Packages under $200 are generally forwarded without further paperwork. Packages under $2000 generally have the paperwork completed by CBP without needing a broker.

· Registered
309 Posts
Seamus said:
I ordered wheels from 11speed.com, ~$430 shipped, and I just received a bill from UPS for $43 duty and handling charges.

Still a good deal, but the extra $43 does not make me happy.:mad:
Funny, they ship wheels FedEx, not UPS. Also if you live in SoCal like your profile says, then you shouldn't have to pay duty. I didn't for my Zondas that came FedEx.

I wonder what happened.

· Registered
59 Posts
I have placed 5 orders with 11 Speed this year and all have shipped UPS. Four had no customs charges. Most arrived in Arkansas within 3-5 business days.

Last order included a Chorus Gruppo and wheelset totalling about $1200. Just got the customs bill from UPS-- it was $23.

· Registered
178 Posts
I've ordered from probikekit about 6 times, fast shipping, no duties and great prices. My last order was an Ultegra 10 speed group which came in OEM packaging instead of retail boxes which makes no difference to me.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
From what I read on the Customs Border Patrol website, the charge that UPS charges is for it acting as a customs broker (i.e., helping the order move through customs and determining the customs amount due). Generally, orders less than $200 are cleared without any paperwork. Order less than $2,000 are cleared with very little paperwork. Orders over $2,000 could require a significant amount of paperwork by the customs broker and they might take a little while to clear. In reading the Harmonized Tarriff Shedule of the US, it seems as though most bike parts are duty free, with the exception of rims with a 5% duty, spokes with a 10% duty, pedals and saddles with an 8% duty, and frames over $600 have a 3.9% duty. Cotterless cranks, brakes, brake levers, sprockets, freewheel wheels, hubs, and derailleurs are duty free. That should make up the majority of any groupo's value. After that, most parts have a 10% duty. However, don't quote me on this because I only spent 10 minutes reviewing this stuff just in case I have an issue with a recent order that I placed with 11 Speed. I'll let you guys know how things go with my order. Now, I need some asprin for this headache.

· Registered
55 Posts
Stiffed by Customs

Ordered Chorus group from 11Speed in November for $838 and $72 shipping, which arrived in 3 business days. But also got hit with C.O.D. charge for duties of $101, or 12%! Looking at the U.S. website, it seems that the updated duties as of August 2006 are pretty much 10% across the board, and any rules that have references to "cottered cranks" are outdated. So I didn't contest anything. Still came out OK, I guess, order filled perfectly by 11 Speed. Timely also, since with the weak dollar, the base price is now over $900 for Chorus.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
That is kind of weird because I would assume that the Customs Border Patrol website would be up to date on things and that it would refer me to the current duty schedule. Anyway, UPS's website says my package is due to arrive today, so I will see how everything goes. Can you give me a link to the website that shows the current duty schedule so that I can be as prepared as possible for this entire thing. I have two record groupo's, a couple chains, and a couple cables sets coming at the tune of $2,800, so 10% across the board isn't going to be cheap.

· Registered
55 Posts
Didn't mean to alarm

Sorry I don't have the link--I looked but didn't have much time. I remember that on the page to fill out form to contest the duty, there was a "know the rules first" link on this page, and the updated schedule was here. I was hoping someone with more knowledge would weigh in here. I was just relating my own experience. I do know that others received similar orders with no duty at the same time and, depending on how the exporter handles it, are subject to just random inspections. Good luck!

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Well, I got my shipment from UPS and this is going to be one heck of a good battle I am betting. The driver would not give me the package unless I have him a check for $292, so I gave him a check in that amount which equaled 10% of the entire order amount. I wasn't happy about it, so I wrote UPS and the moron that wrote me back said that the shipper had to resubmit the invoice for them to review it becuase the invoice did not include enough detail. Further, there was nothing she could do for me because I had already accepted the package. Well, let's just say I was not really happy with that response. So, I sent an e-mail to 11 Speed asking them to resubmit and invoice to UPS, and they told me that the Harmonized Tariff Schedule ("HTS") codes were right on the invoice. So, I actually looked at the invoice and sure enough, there was each code from the HTS right underneath the part description and each code matched up to the very codes that I had highlighted in the HTS earlier in the week when I replied to this thread, except for the code for the roller chain which was in a completely different section of the HTS than what I downloaded. Anyway, every code had a "free" in the duty amount for it according to the HTS, so now I was really pissed. I called my bank and put a stop payment on the check and sent UPS an e-mail stating that the invoice had plenty of detail on it about the parts in the package and that it even had the appropriate HTS codes on the invoice. So, somebody at UPS must have just rubber stamped the package with a 10% duty and then charged me close to $6 in a brokerage fee to do so. Nothing like getting raped completely by UPS. Not only did they do an incompetant job, but then they charged me for it. I'll post updates as this matter unfolds.

To sum it up, according to 11 Speed and the HTS that I looked at, everything sent to me was duty free, with the only grey area being the cables and cable housing. I think UPS needs to hire some better customs broker agents to handle this stuff because if they cannot look at an invoice that direct them to the exact paragraph of the HTS so they can make a decision, there is something seriously wrong with them. According to Customs & Border Patrol's website, it takes years and years of studying to become a broker and understand the codes, yet me, somebody who hasn't seen them before this week, is able to figure these things out without a problem.

As you can tell, I am not happy about this one bit. I'm going to have to make sure that all my international orders are delivered by carriers other than UPS.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Jim,

I just glanced over my HTS chart for wheels and there is nothing specific related to it, so it might fall under the 10% catch all category of "other." However, there is a section for wheel rims and they carry 5% duty and there is a section for spokes and they carry a 10% duty.

You should contact 11 Speed and ask them what the duty code is for the wheels and then I can point you to the correct chapter of the HTS and you can determine if the code is correct or not.

I haven't heard anything back from UPS since sending it an e-mail stating that I am putting a stop payment on the check. However, I am sure I will hear something more from them before this is all over.

· Registered
12,593 Posts
Okay, the issue with UPS started on or about March 15, 2007. After discussing the issue with one of their brokerage reps, submitting the docs and an affidavit to them, and having them appeal the duty charge with customs, US Customs finally refunded the customs charge. It has been 5 months, but it saved me $287 or so in duty. Quite worth the fight.

So, if any of you guys get charged for duty, make sure that it is right, and if it isn't, fight it.

· Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations on your refund. Perhaps problems like this are why 11Speed seems not to be accessible anymore. I'm just curious, when UPS had you write the C.O.D. check, was it to UPS, Customs, or 11Speed? (mine was to 11Speed)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.