Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have received my wheels from built. Built on Tune Mag/Mig 170/70 tubless rims Stan's 340 mode year is 2013 24/28 CX Ray spokes. As I mentioned 11speed freehub body. I haven't receive with it the spacer (1.8mm) in order to use my 10 speed cassette Dura Ace 28/11. Never the less I installed the 10 speed DA cassette with the 1mm spacer it comes with and there is no freedom at all but the ride is "heavy" feeling, it seems like it is very difficult to accelerate with the wheelset. I can compare it to my Zipp 404 tubular wheelset I have (almost the same weight with my current wheels around the 1300 gram for pair) but so much different...! I'm waiting for the 1.8mm spacer to arrive but I wonder if the lack of this spacer can be the cause of this "heavy" acceleration feeling or it has nothing to do with it and it is most probably the wheels alone. Ill love to hear your take on that.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm kinda surprised you got the lockring tight without the spacer. I've never tried what you're describing so I can't help directly...

but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that the heaviness your feeling might be the cassette lockring threaded too deeply into the freehub body

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea only with the original 1 mm of the dura ace cassette spacer without the 11speed spacer and it locked it with no move. Nevertheless the cassette and free hub works freely as well the gears stiffened all 10 sprockets with my DI2 Ultegra so I can't see how this creates the "heaviness feeling" if all was seem working fine. I hope you right about the locking tight to the thread. I'm waiting to receive the 1.85mm spacer to put it first on freehub before the cassette. For now I have put another 1mm spacer at the beginning but I didn't try ride it this way yet. Again the all package locked and seems to move freely with no moving or scrubbing.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
I don't know if I'm missing something here but how could a smaller spacer on a cassette have anything to do with a "heavy feeling"?

Ok, I reread your original and I can't imagine any way that spacer could affect how the wheels accelerate unless it was keeping you from using the biggest cog.

If the two wheelsets weigh the same, possibly the Zip tubulars have less weight around the outside; a lighter rim and tire that allows faster acceleration?

dazed and confused :confused:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it was in my head I was getting out for the other day and this feeling gone. I have put the spacer, not the 1.85 as I'm still waiting for it but I use for now 1mm. Shifting is about 90% but all feels good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.