Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I planned to ride a 24 hour Time Trial last Saturday up near Davis.

To make a long story short it became a 12 hour TT

For the long story read on.

I have done quite a few rides over the past couple of years longer than 12 hours. I have done about 3-4 rides of 24 hours. Most of these are in the form of Brevets which are best described as long efficient rides with other wacko's like me.

In last years 600k (375 miles) I decided I would see how many miles I could ride in exactly 24 hours. I ended up riding about 310 miles but when I checked my bike computer that was only 19.5 hours of bike time. On last years Davis 400k (250 miles) I finished in just under 16 hours. Both of these brevets were ridden in groups.

Also last year I rode my bike from my house in Pacifica to SLO (about 240 miles) in about 19 hours all by myself and felt great the whole way.

So for this 24 hour TT I figured I could get in over 350 miles since I would be riding a lighter bike since I would not have to carry much with me and I would be riding my Vanilla rather than my Co-Motion.

Well I started off at 6:31 and 15 seconds and off I rode on the 160 mile day loop. This is part of the Davis Double (DD) course but I have never ridden the DD.

Since this is a TT you are not allowed to ride with anyone so if someone is faster behind you they will pass you never to be seen again. If someone is slower than you then you will catch them or if they start behind you they should not catch you. Either way you will not see them either. That means the only person you will ride with for 160 miles is yourself. All I can say is you better be entertaining or bring an MP3 player. Me, I lasted about 100 miles before the MP3 player came out and that was about 50 miles too late. Man am I boring.

Back to the ride.

The ride started well and I felt fine even thou I have not been able to ride much over the past month plus. The rain in the Bay Area has been brutal. I got to the first aid station at mile 45ish and had to stop to replenish my Camelbak. I need a camelbak or I will not drink enough. I have a hard time remembering to grab a bottle enough to keep me drinking enough. And since most of my calories come from the Perpetum in my water if I do not drink I will not get enough calories. So I refill my Camelbak and I am good to go for another 30 or so miles. But I get passed by a couple of riders as they just bypass the stop.

There are probably only a few riders like myself who are doing this ride unsupported. About 90% of the riders have brought along personal SAG support. I thought about it but thought it would not be so bad to do on my own but it defiantly catches up to you.

By not having support I have to carry everything I need, or think I need, for the day loop of 160 miles. That means three gel flasks, a bunch of Perpetum, a cliff bar and also my rain jacket, my light, red blinkies, rear fender & wheel reflectors. I also have to carry most of this stuff in my camelbak on my back. I also have to carry enough water to get me to the next aid station.

If I had my own support I would not have to carry any of this except for the camelbak with my fluids. Not a huge deal but it would have been nice to not have to deal with all this stuff. But the biggest benefit to having support is that you have some company every 15-20 miles to hand off a new bottle and you can grab your jacket or gloves exactly when you need it.

Well, there were a few hills out there but nothing that bad. A couple of them were about 4-5 miles long but not too steep. But since I didn't know how long they were they kind of sneak up on you. I was feeling fine until I started up a hill. Then my lower back would act up. Not too bad but it takes all my power away and since the top of the hills usually had an aid station I just humped it up to the top since I had to stop there anyways. One of my goals was to stay on the bike as much as possible so I did not want to stop to stretch my back only to have to stop 20 minutes later at an aid station.

Once I left an aid station my back would feel great again. Another reason it would have been great to have my own SAG. I could stop when I wanted if I had to stretch and not have to stop at aid stations later.

So now I am about halfway thru the 160 mile day loop and am still doing fine. I am nowhere near the front like I usually am in a brevet. The big difference is that this is a RACE not a ride and not only do these people like to ride for a long time but they like to go fast. So I am all by myself just plugging along. I sit in my aerobars when I can but I am not used to them enough to sit in them as much as I should.

I make a turn on Hwy 20 which is a 15 mile leg that ends at the top of "the last hill" and "all downhill from here" I get to the top, which is an aid station, and again refill my camelbak. Just as I leave it finally starts to rain. It has been 105 miles with no rain and if someone told me I would get 105 miles into this without rain I wouldn't have believed them. So I get to try out my new rain jacket and gloves and head downhill to the end of the day loop. Ahh 55 miles of downhill????.

Well needless to say it was really only about 2 miles of downhill an after I got all decked out in rain stuff it only was a sprinkle for about 2 miles. So now I am stuck wearing this rain stuff for the next 20 miles until the next stop. I could stop and take it off but I did not want to get into the habit of stopping for this and that.

By now I am heading down Hwy 16 which ends up being about 30 miles straight. You go thru a few towns but just straight with no stops or turns to break it up. You can get into a nice rhythm but there is something to say for having a turn here and there to give you something to look forward to.

By the time I finish this section the wind has picked up and I am drafting.........still noone. Now we are close to the finish but you hit that farmland and in the afternoon the wind really picks up. The route takes you on a road that in numbered in the 20’s. Then it is a right on a road in the 80's like 84. Then a left on 24 then a right on 85, left on 25, right on 86, etc, etc, etc. These roads are about 1-2 miles each and those in the 80's were headwind. By now my legs were almost cooked. I was in my aerobars probably doing all of 10 MPH. Of course I could not tell you how fast since my computer went out around mile 20. All I can say is thank goodness all the roads on this course had mile markers and the route sheet was very clear.

So I make my last turn for my final 7 miles home. I can't remember the name but it should have been an 80 road because it was right into the damn headwind. Well I think I started to daydream about something because before I know it I was riding back into town. I guess I should have thought of that a long time ago. Just let your mind wander and make your legs go round and round and you will eventually get there.

So I pull into the checkpoint having done the 160 mile portion. But since I was way behind what I thought I would do I decided to call it a day, or rather a half a day.

The remainder of the ride is a continuous 18 mile flat loop. I think if I had someone there to push me on or cheer for me I would have started the loops but since I would not meet my goal I decide to save it for another day. It just so happens that that other day is the following Saturday when I have another 24 hour ride. But at least this is not a race and it is with some buddies. If I would have continued with the 24 hour ride I am sure I would have screwed myself for this weekends ride.

If I had been further along I think would have continued.

So for next year I would like to go for it again.
Only next time I will have a more realistic goal
I will con someone into SAGing for me
Will hope the weather will be better leading up to the ride
Will get my diet down better
Hire some cheer leaders for the night loop. I bet they have some at Winters High School.

Willy in Pacifica

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Nice going. I like the pics, too. I rode a 24 hr TT in 1973. i went with a team mate & we shared a support car. The car was only allowed on the course at certain times and at certain spots. As I remember, the ride was pretty flat, but there's always the wind. I started out at about 12:30 PM. There were 60 riders, & we were started at 2 min intervals. The course was extremely well marshalled, with med asst. at the start/finish, and time checks at many intersections. There were no such thing as aero bars at that time. All, and I mean all, the bikes were steel. If you had a bike that weighed around 23# or maybe a tiny bit less, it was a real lightweight. Camelbacks were non-existant as well. Because of the car, I ate & drank on the bike. I did get off a few times to take a nature break, and I had a flat.

I did pretty well in the ride. I finished 8th overall, with total mileage of 389.9. It was a hell of a lot of work, & I was completely exhausted at the end. After awhile, your mind, (at least MY mind), started to play tricks on me. I distinctly remember around 9:00 AM I think I felt my worst. Everything hurt...my hair hurt, my earlobes hurt, I was seeing double, & felt like I could hardly turn the cranks. The car came up & gave me some of that brand new drink called Gatorade. They also gave me a banana. As I was hungry, I peeled the banana. I was riding no hands just about to eat the banana, when I noticed a patch of rough pavement just ahead. I grabbed the bars, and my banana broke off & fell. The car was gone to find my team mate, so there was no chance for me to get another...........I cried.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Great report...

but there is no way I could have kept up with all of those details...

Like he said, 12 hours on a bike is a long, long time. Good Job.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Uh, those pics...

look like the Santa Cruz 200 k brevet.

Anyway, it looks like the recumbent boys (490 and 449 miles, vs 433 and 428 and 429 for a 4-man team) kicked some @ss.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pictures

Yes those are the SC 200k picutures but I figured someone would ask for pictures and those were all I had. But they look like the same roads as in Davis and I wore the same shoes & socks so thought no one would notice.

When I got back to town Kenny Souza had stopped riding and someone said he was in the bar across the street. He was way ahead coming back to town and I believed he dropped out at about 200-250 miles based on the leader board.

But he must have been jsut having a beer or two because he ended up winning with 430 something.

I guess the recumbents actually won but they are in a separate category. But that Dan guy got 399 and he is over 60. That is the best performance out there.

So I will give it a go next year but will have support. Actually I am looking for a stoker 42 or younger since the < 90 tandem mens record is only 250 miles.

willy in pacifica

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One day

Yes the time trial is a 12 or 24 hour time trial.

Reminds me of the guy walking up to the 7-11 and the clerk is locking up.

customer "hey, I thought you guys were open 24 hours"

Clerk "not in a row"

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Got to be impressed with...

Tim Woudenburg's 490 miles. That's 20+ mph, without drafting, sustained for 24 hours.

Watcha got planned next? Are you doing any of the 600 K brevets?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
upcoming rides

This weekend is the 24 hour Fleche from San Jose to Davis. I will be riding with three other buddies and you are only required to ride 360k or 225 miles.

Then in May is the 400k and in June the 600k. Both out of Santa Rosa.

I may also do the 600k out of San Diego in June if I can get down there for vacation with the family.

After June I will try to find a 200k or ride the 200k out of Felton (near Santa Cruz) for each month July thru Dec. By riding at least 200k each month ofr 12 months you qualify for the R-12 award (medal)

Willy in Pacifica

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Long ride

The longest I have beenon a bike is 33 hours straight. Of course I got off a few times to eat but never to sleep. This was for a 600k. The next year T knocked it down to 29.5 hours.

willy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts