Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 39/53 12x25 and need a new cassette/chain. I'd like 1 more climbing gear. Will a 13 x 26 work on a medium cage Campy RD (I believe I have a medium cage -- it's what came spec'd with this drivetrain). I never ride in 53 x 25, but don't want to accidently miss-shift and over extend out my hanger either.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
cmd miler said:
I have a 39/53 12x25 and need a new cassette/chain. I'd like 1 more climbing gear. Will a 13 x 26 work on a medium cage Campy RD (I believe I have a medium cage -- it's what came spec'd with this drivetrain). I never ride in 53 x 25, but don't want to accidently miss-shift and over extend out my hanger either.
A 13-26 will work with a short, medium, or long cage Campy RD. I'm running a 13-26 with 53/39 chainrings and a short cage Record. In fact it is spec'd to run with a short, Campy says medium with a 13-29.

Al

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
It'll work

Going from a 25 to a 26 won't be much of a change (less than 4% lower), but the derailleur should handle it fine. If your chain length is currently tailored very close, you might have to add a link, but probably not.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Short

My wife is short and runs a 13x26 with a short cage derailler. Great all around cassette with the 18t cog stuffed in the middle.

If you really struggle climbing with a 25t then moving to a 26t is not going to be much help. My wife will slap on a 13x29 if she hits some billy goat hills.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It sounds like you may be a good candidate for a compact crank. Have you considered one? But getting back to your question, your medium cage will work fine, though if it is a short cage, you may find that it shifts better with a medium. I run a comact crank with a 12-27 cassette [shimano] which although it is within theshort cage rear derailluer's capacity, it maxes it out pretty much. I recently switched to a long cage rear derailluer, and the shifting is much improved. So in my experience, if your derailluer's capacity is maxed out, better shifting may be had by switching to a longer cage rear derailluer. Keep in mind that I'm running shimano, campy may better handle the extremes.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
29t

cyclust said:
It sounds like you may be a good candidate for a compact crank...
...Keep in mind that I'm running shimano, campy may better handle the extremes.
I would try out the 13x29 before investing the money in a compact crank. You may very well find that it meets all your gearing range needs without the compromises or expense associated with a compact crank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeping up with Junior said:
Great all around cassette with the 18t cog stuffed in the middle.
Glad you mentioned that...

13 14 15 16 17 18 19 21 23 26
12 13 14 15 16 17 19 21 23 25

checking out Sheldon's calculator. One thing I didn't think of is going 13-26 over my current 12-25 is that it will in effect move my preferred chain line (sort of)... not bad, just this means I'd use my 53t more:

Riding solo I average around 20mph on the flats and prefer 39 x 14 (same ratio as 53 x 19). But puts me close to the max on the 39t end and close to the min on the 53t to avoid cross chaining.

If I get a 13-26 then I'll max out the 39t quicker but give me an extra gear between 17-19 when in 53t... of course I'll also be forced to use 53t more often... hmmmmm.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cyclust said:
It sounds like you may be a good candidate for a compact crank. Have you considered one?
I did, however I THINK I'd need a new FD. Plus looking at the gearing, I'd be out of the 34t quickly even with a compact 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 19 21 23.

With a 39 x 14 ratio I'd have to run 34 x 12 (slightly higher ratio) which is a bad line if I shift up one more. In the big ring I'd start to get a bad chain line as well with 50 x 19. 50 x 18 is really what I'd need, but I think that be a custom cassette. Just sounds like I'd be hunting between 34 and 50 a lot.

Now, I COULD use a 12-25, but I'd spin out of the small ring quickly... actually it make for a good cruising gear since I'd be BIG in front and middle of the cog in back, BUT I'd have to drop to my 34t every time I come up to an intersection or stop... again, it sounds like I'd shifting the front an awful lot.

How did I ever ride a 5 spd rear!

·
Registered
130 Posts
i need some help here too

Hey all.

I have just rebuilt me '06 Argon 18 Plutionium with some 9s tiagra. I have fitted some Sora 2 pce compact cranks (50/34) and a sram 11-21 cass.

This bike will be my start for club racing, primarilly crits on flat ground. I did the normal big/big plus two links when i put on the chain but when in small/small the rear mech has no pull and the chain rubs on the upper jockey wheel, and seem slack.

Does this mean i will ness to invest on a long cage rear mech or is me chain just a bit too long, I'm hoping its the chain as this whole built has been on a limited budget using thew bits I had kick around.

All help greatly appreciated
Ozbikebuddy

:mad2:

·
Vermonter
232 Posts
cmd miler said:
Up to a 13/26, one can use a short cage, that's all I ever use with no problems at all.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I just went to a Campy 13-26 from a 12-25. Not much difference. Only reason I went with a 13-26 is they had no 12-25's in stock. My chain length stayed the same. You might have to back off the B screw just a bit. Depends on how close you have it now...

Probikekit.com has good prices for Campy cassettes by the way.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One nice thing I noticed about the 13-26 over the 12-25 is adding a 18t cog. When I'm in 53 x 19, jumping up to 17 is a fairly big change (seems like over 1mph with my cadence). Of course that also means I can no longer use 39 x 13 since that would give me "little-little" cross chain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.