Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
It can be done, they put the frame in a jig for a while spreading the stays. what you need to do is make sure they also then re-align the drops, as at the original 126mm spacing, the drops are vertical, but if spread to 130, they wont be, it makes a difference due to the rear der. hanger. make sure they do that if they spread.
KO

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I asked similar last winter. Was initially going to buy a Park DAG-2 alignment gauge after putting in the new 130mm wheel to be sure. Dave's advice to try it first before spending $$ on a tool was spot on...it wasn't needed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Can aluminum frames take the extra 2mm per side? In my limited engineering experience it should not be a problem, as its minimal deflection.

I just want to make sure as it's my first and only road bike. I'm wanting to go retro-modern during the winter, refinish the bike, and likely buy an SRAM 9 or 10 speed group and if money is ok new wheels.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,123 Posts
Cbookman said:
Can aluminum frames take the extra 2mm per side? In my limited engineering experience it should not be a problem, as its minimal deflection.
I wouldn't recommend it - aluminum doesn't have the flexibility of steel. It could make the frame crack.

·
Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
I just performed my first cold set rear dropout spread on a 1973 Schwinn Super Sport fillet brazed 4130 chromoly frame from 120mm to 130mm using Sheldon Brown's technique. It went off without a hitch, and I checked to make sure the triangle was aligned longitudinally using the dropout-to-headtube-to-dropout string technique where you make sure the seat tube is centered between the string on each side.

The Park FFG-2 tool to parallel align the rear dropouts is due tomorrow via UPS. This frameset is going to be built up with the 10-speed Campy Comp Triple group.

·
Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
The Park FFG-2 dropout alignment tool got here this morning, so I aligned the dropouts and then verified the spacing is still 130mm and the dropouts are still centered on the frame's longitudinal centerline.

Next stop is the powdercoater. :D

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Scooper said:
The Park FFG-2 dropout alignment tool got here this morning, so I aligned the dropouts and then verified the spacing is still 130mm and the dropouts are still centered on the frame's longitudinal centerline.

Next stop is the powdercoater. :D

Stan, Do you think one could make a set of those with ardware store parts for substantially less?

I have the DAG-2 and the ***-2, It seems that the dropout tool could be fabricated with a couple of axles and some nuts?

·
Decrepit Member
1,813 Posts
I actually considered trying to make a set from threaded rod, nuts and large diameter washers. I think it could be done, but it wouldn't have the nice handles on the ends or the large diameter, easily adjustable mating ends. I think it would work, though, and would have "close enough for government work" accuracy.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I keep reminding people that when Shimano introduced 130mm spaced 8 speed, everything in the world was 126mm. The original DuraAce 8s rear hubs had a bevelled locknut to facilitate "pulling" that hub in to 126mm spaced dropouts. No cold set necessary and no problems.

I never cold set my 126 spaced Falcon. All I did was check the hanger alignment with a 130mm hub pulled in there. Spot on and it has shifted beautifully with both Campy 8 and 10s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.