Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cx bike came stock with a Truvativ Elita 130 BCD crankset, running 39/48T chainrings and a 12-25 9-speed cassette. However, I've seen other 130 BCD stock cx bikes that came with 38/46T rings, instead. Yeah, I know a single ring is often the favored set up for racing, but since I use this bike for winter riding (w/full fenders) and indoor training (trainer and rollers), I'd rather have the versatility of the double. I think the 39/48 is probably the closest thing to my road bike's 39/53 and still a decent set up for cx racing but wanted others opinions. Yeah, I also realize switching to a compact drive will give me more gearing options but I just bought a 130 BCD, Octalink compatible, FSA carbon crankset from a friend and for a pretty good deal. So now what are your thoughts?

Those of you with 130 BCD, who use your cx bike for more than racing, what's your set up?

Thanks,

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm running a 130bcd crank with a 38/48T combo and a 12-27 rear cassette and use my cross bike for road and trainer training in addition to cross racing (at least until I pay off Mr. Visa and can justify a dedicated road bike) and it works well enough.

I'd really like to replace the 12T small cog with an 11T which would give me a max ratio similar to a 52/12, but when I bought an LX cassette from my commuter with an eye towards swapping its 11T with the 12T on my cross bike it turned out that the spacing was managed differently and it didn't work well. I'm guessing that if I found a Shimano road cassette with an 11T it would work, but I don't want to buy a cassette just for a single cog. Leave it to Shimano to complicate customization

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...I was thinking about going 38/48T, but noticed most single ring set ups use a 42T. That, plus the 39T is exactly what's on my road bike. If anything, maybe I'd swap out the 12-25 cassette for a 12-27. Hmm...

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The only 'cross bike I'm running a 130 BCD crankset on has 48/38 rings paired with an 11-32 cassette, which seems pretty extreme but for the fact that this bike sees a lot of single track and steep fire road use. At my age, I need a little help on the climbs....

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just get a 53T

I raced my CX bike on the road for most of last year (specialy early season crits and local events) with a 53T ring picked up from the LBS for about $20.

Simply raise the front derailleur up an 1/4" bolt on the 53T instead of the 38/39 and your off to the races.

I can hang in on road rides with a 48T but when the pace jumps quickly I dont have the big gears to sprint with.

·
RoadBikeReview Addict
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dreww said:
I raced my CX bike on the road for most of last year (specialy early season crits and local events) with a 53T ring picked up from the LBS for about $20.

Simply raise the front derailleur up an 1/4" bolt on the 53T instead of the 38/39 and your off to the races.

I can hang in on road rides with a 48T but when the pace jumps quickly I dont have the big gears to sprint with.
I have a road bike for that! I just use my cx bike for winter training and indoor training. I'll probably also use it as a bad weather bike in the spring/summer.

Thanks,

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
MrXC said:
I'm guessing that if I found a Shimano road cassette with an 11T it would work, but I don't want to buy a cassette just for a single cog. Leave it to Shimano to complicate customization
Ask your LBS if you can snag an 11t cog from an old cassette. The middle cogs wear out WAY before an 11t will so even a well worn cassette should have a pretty fresh 11t.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts