Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a stem with 73°/107° for oversized handlebars.

3TTT has one (the THE ;-)), but only for regular (thinner) handlebars.

Any suggestions? Would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
my search on ebay found quite a selection.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
sorry, I should have said I found 130mm and 140mm which are the more usual increments.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
135 is an oddball size, and 73/107 is less common as well. however, there are a couple of choices in 130. if that works, flip through the qbp catalog at your lbs and have them order one

·
Registered
359 Posts
Keep in mind that when you have any kind of angle on the stem, the effective length cannot be the same on both sides if one side is the accurate length. Some manufacturers (Pro for example) will assume your using the stem with a negative rise, and so make the stem accurate in that dimension, but short when your using positive rise. Others like 3T and Thomson will make the negative rise side longer, while the positive rise is accurate. So for instance my 120mm -17 3T ARX stem is actually 127mm when using negative rise.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I bought a FSA OS 115 17° in 130 for only $40 on ebay.... brand new

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
This is leading to something...

dcl10 said:
Keep in mind that when you have any kind of angle on the stem, the effective length cannot be the same on both sides if one side is the accurate length. Some manufacturers (Pro for example) will assume your using the stem with a negative rise, and so make the stem accurate in that dimension, but short when your using positive rise. Others like 3T and Thomson will make the negative rise side longer, while the positive rise is accurate. So for instance my 120mm -17 3T ARX stem is actually 127mm when using negative rise.
You also have to take HT angle into account. Knowing your trig and given figures (frame and stem dimension) will get the most exact fitting.

While I don't want to disrespect the OP that it's "just 5mm" from 130- or 140mm, I think it'd be ideal to work some math out with putting spacers in the equation before the stem hunt goes berserk.

If you're not so math-savy, then I'll cut to the chase saying that you should get the 140mm in worst-case scenario and work with a thin spacer. The extra length will account for more drop*, and hopefully an accompanying spacer underneath can offset that to something very close to having the drop/reach dimensions of 135mm stem.

*think: xsin(angle)=y. "x" is to be replaced by the length of the stem between the inner-ends of the clamps, otherwise the "spec'd" length. Longer this value is, the more the drop or rise ("y").

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ventruck said:
While I don't want to disrespect the OP that it's "just 5mm" from 130- or 140mm, I think it'd be ideal to work some math out with putting spacers in the equation before the stem hunt goes berserk.

If you're not so math-savy, then I'll cut to the chase saying that you should get the 140mm in worst-case scenario and work with a thin spacer. The extra length will account for more drop*, and hopefully an accompanying spacer underneath can offset that to something very close to having the drop/reach dimensions of 135mm stem.
Thank you - that's exactly what I am planning to do.
All, you've been most helpful as always :thumbsup: !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts