· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Best post of the thread right here:

As far as I'm concerned, they do not:
1. pay road tax
2. pay for registration
3. pay for inspection
4. pay for insurance

So they do not deserve to be on the same public road that I have to do all of the above to be able to drive my car on.
1. Even assuming that the rider does not own a car, which is mostly untrue, a bike causes nowhere near the damage as a car or truck to the road surface, and therefore does not need to continue to the road maintainence that the gasoline tax funds. Road construction is funded separately, and everybody pays for that.
2. Because registration would totally have a point. Or not.
3. Inspection for what? Emissions? Come on over here and check my emissions while I teabag your forehead.
4. Yeah, so when one comes out of nowhere and t-bones your car, totaling it...oh wait.

News flash: every cyclist I know, with the possible exception of Entwerfer, owns a car as well. I own two. I pay for all of the above. And I also commute by bike, on the roads that I am legally, ethically, and financially entitled to ride, drive, walk, or drive my ****in' stagecoach on to my heart's content.

Edit: #3 is pretty obscene, innit? If you want me to change it, mods, I will, but please don't make me.

· Alien Musician
4,542 Posts
Gads.

I noticed the other night while on a ride that the people who yell out the windows at
me "get on the sidewalk" are driving big old 70s sedans, are complete fatlards and
usually morons to boot who also need exhaust inspection.

Most of the folks driving more modern vehicles are a lot more courteous and actually
will move away from you a bit to give you space which is refreshing.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
When I read stuff like that it either makes me angry or depressed. Therefore, I don't read them. No, I didn't click on the link.

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
*A-Train* said:
I hate that forum. A bunch of self-righteous ex-ricer douchebags. My car forum (Focaljet.com) has a cycling thread that's 67 pages long and full of helpful enthusiasts. We're even considering our own jerseys.
Wow. Your statement is just as offensive as the majority of the VW forum statements. Your justifying their moronic statements by playing to their level.

I live out in a large farming area that is loaded with Ford/Chevy/Dodge pickups. While riding I am regularly treated like crap by the drivers of these large trucks trying to run me off the road, yelling find some sidewalk (nothing but farmland), and stepping on the gas and blowing their diesel fumes into my face as they go by me.

With my experiences I would have the right to hate pickups and their drivers but that would be foolish of me to think they are all bad. I hope you truly didn't mean to group all VW drivers and Asian produced items due to a small sampling of ignorant people on a forum.

· Registered
5,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dwwheels said:
Wow. Your statement is just as offensive as the majority of the VW forum statements. Your justifying their moronic statements by playing to their level.

I live out in a large farming area that is loaded with Ford/Chevy/Dodge pickups. While riding I am regularly treated like crap by the drivers of these large trucks trying to run me off the road, yelling find some sidewalk (nothing but farmland), and stepping on the gas and blowing their diesel fumes into my face as they go by me.

With my experiences I would have the right to hate pickups and their drivers but that would be foolish of me to think they are all bad. I hope you truly didn't mean to group all VW drivers and Asian produced items due to a small sampling of ignorant people on a forum.
"Ricer" has come to be a pretty generic term for people who mod their sport compacts for looks and not performance--doesn't necessarily mean Asian cars or people. A lot of people would consider the guys on Focaljet ricers, too. :lol: The VWVortex Lounge actually pulls from a bunch of other forums so it's not just VW folks (and I happen to like both VWVortex and Focaljet, even though I drive an old muscle car and generally post on muscle car boards). I actually posted this link cause there are a good number of people sticking up for cycling and cyclists. And with gas prices on the rise a surprising number of auto enthusiasts are considering bikes for some of their transportation needs. But yes it is good to know what some drivers think of us...

· Humanity...or....Vanity?
406 Posts
Thanks Henry, and I am aware of the various meanings of "ricer". I would hope you aren't trying to justify or defend such ignorant & childish comments by a-train.

· Registered
433 Posts
Seems like I read a few years ago that a lot of highway funding comes from the federal general revenue fund (a.k.a. taxes). So we all are paying for our roads, no matter what we ride or drive. Also, I pay the same amount of personal property taxes on my 4,000 mile a year truck as someone driving 20,000 a year, which puts more wear and tear on the roads. Of course this will not matter to some people who hate to be confused by the facts.

· Registered
176 Posts
South Carolina just took a small step on the road step toward better sharing of the road. The new law requires vehicles to stay a safe distance from bicycles. Drivers who harass cyclists or throw something at them can be charged with a misdemeanor. They would face at least a $250 fine and up to 30 days in jail if convicted.

If there is a designated bike lane, bicyclists must use it, and drivers can't block it. Drivers must also yield to bikers in the lane when turning.

It's not much but, it is something positive. On my road ride yesterday, I even noticed an increase in vehicles giving us a lot more space when they passed.

· Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
And yesterday on my ride, I had to slow down an nearly cross the yellow line while on my bike because there were two ASSHATS riding against traffic, two abreast, IN the lane, no helmets, and didn't even move for the car behind me.

No wonder we're dispised by drivers.

· Registered
342 Posts
velodog said:
Maybe if we all stop and put our foot down the next time we come to a stop sign all the people who drive cars and trucks will like us and treat us like equals.
I'm all for cyclists riding reasonably and obeying traffic laws, but the "If we obey the law, then they will respect us" is pretty much a red herring argument. Despite what some drivers claim, drivers with bad attitudes hate cyclists because we are there, not because some of us break laws.

I'm a pacifist, but sometimes I fantasize that every cyclist should carry a weapon. Not a little pea shooter like a pistol but an RPG. See how much space we'd get on the roads then.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.