Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/14-teams-apply-for-8-remaining-protour-places

Of the fourteen, eight already have ProTour licences that expire at the end of this season. These include the Footon-Servetto team that will be sponsored by Geox, and Telefonica Movistar, who replaces Caisse d’Epargne as title sponsor of the Spanish-based team. The former Milram team has also applied for ProTour status under the name of its organising structure Velocity, although it still has to reveal if it has secured sponsorship for next season. Astana, Euskaltel-Euskadi, FDJ, Liquigas-Doimo and HTC-Columbia have also all applied to renew their expiring licences.

A further six teams that are not part of the 2010 ProTour in 2010 have submitted applications for 2011. Jean-René Bernaudeau confirmed last week that his BBox-Bouygues Telecom outfit had applied for ProTour status and fellow French squad Cofidis has followed suit. The BMC Racing team has applied for consideration, while Dutch squad Vacansoleil, who missed out on selection for all three major Tours in 2010, hopes to secure ProTour status for 2011.

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Interesting scenarios present themselves

This is very interesting. I would say on sporting merit that FdJ and Geox-Footon should be denied Pro Tour renewal based on past 2 years. Neither of these teams garner much press or results and in many races are just there filling out the numbers. FdJ has lost Le Mevel to Garmin, leaving them Sandy Casar and ?? Geox, if they are successful in signing Cunego plus Sastre might squeeze a licence renewal. Milram appears dead in the water at this point. Euskatel has had a budget cut, and in many races they are simply showing up to make up the numbers but they do have Sammy Sanchez. HTC-Columbia, Astana, Liquigas, and Movistar (Caisse) should be automatic renewals based on previous performances and commitment to the sport.

So that leaves 4 licences and: Geox, BMC, Vaconsoleil, FlyV, BBox, Cofidis, FdJ, Euskatel, and Team Luxembourg. First off eliminate FlyV as they will not have enough star power or history to gain admittance, unless they announce something HUGE. Then eliminate Cofidis and FdJ as neither is really worthy of Pro Tour status. So now down to 6 teams for four spots. Team Lux should be automatic IF they have the paperwork and sponsorship commitment to satisfy the UCI. BMC should also be worthy of a spot on sporting merit and there is no questioning Andy Rihs' commitment.

Now down to 2 licences between Geox, Vanconsoleil, BBox and Euskatel. Tough calls here, Geox with Sastre and Cunego (not confirmed), Vaconsoleil with Devolder and Ricco. The Ricco factor may reduce Vaconsoleil somewhat, he is hardly the poster boy the UCI envisions. Geox will no doubt be better but they have been such a sad-sack team in the past two years, and a well-doped team before that as Saunier Duval. BBox deserves consideration above any other French team in terms of sporting merit and at the end of day I think one French team will be granted a licence so it should be BBox. Euskatel has a long commitment to the sport plus the big star power of Sanchez so I would venture they get the other licence. Time will tell.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Eric_H said:
This is very interesting. I would say on sporting merit that FdJ and Geox-Footon should be denied Pro Tour renewal based on past 2 years. Neither of these teams garner much press or results and in many races are just there filling out the numbers. FdJ has lost Le Mevel to Garmin, leaving them Sandy Casar and ?? Geox, if they are successful in signing Cunego plus Sastre might squeeze a licence renewal. Milram appears dead in the water at this point. Euskatel has had a budget cut, and in many races they are simply showing up to make up the numbers but they do have Sammy Sanchez. HTC-Columbia, Astana, Liquigas, and Movistar (Caisse) should be automatic renewals based on previous performances and commitment to the sport.

So that leaves 4 licences and: Geox, BMC, Vaconsoleil, FlyV, BBox, Cofidis, FdJ, Euskatel, and Team Luxembourg. First off eliminate FlyV as they will not have enough star power or history to gain admittance, unless they announce something HUGE. Then eliminate Cofidis and FdJ as neither is really worthy of Pro Tour status. So now down to 6 teams for four spots. Team Lux should be automatic IF they have the paperwork and sponsorship commitment to satisfy the UCI. BMC should also be worthy of a spot on sporting merit and there is no questioning Andy Rihs' commitment.

Now down to 2 licences between Geox, Vanconsoleil, BBox and Euskatel. Tough calls here, Geox with Sastre and Cunego (not confirmed), Vaconsoleil with Devolder and Ricco. The Ricco factor may reduce Vaconsoleil somewhat, he is hardly the poster boy the UCI envisions. Geox will no doubt be better but they have been such a sad-sack team in the past two years, and a well-doped team before that as Saunier Duval. BBox deserves consideration above any other French team in terms of sporting merit and at the end of day I think one French team will be granted a licence so it should be BBox. Euskatel has a long commitment to the sport plus the big star power of Sanchez so I would venture they get the other licence. Time will tell.
which 2010 results do you base BMCs merit on?

·
Administrator
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is the full list (from Velonews):

Eight teams requesting ProTour license renewals

* Astana (Kaz)
* Euskaltel-Euskadi (Spa)
* Ex-Milram/Velocity (Ger)
* FDJ (Fra)
* Ex-Footon-Servetto/Geox (Spa)
* Liquigas-Doimo (Ita)
* HTC-Columbia (USA)
* Ex-Caisse d’Epargne/Team Movistar (Spa)

Six teams applying for ProTour status in 2011

* Bbox-Bouygues Telecom (Fra)
* BMC Racing (USA)
* Cofidis (Fra)
* Pegasus Sports (Aus)
* Luxembourg Cycling Project (Lux)
* Vacansoleil (Ned)

10 teams with valid ProTour licenses for 2011

* Ag2r-La Mondiale (Fra)
* Garmin-Transitions (USA)
* Lampre-Farnese Vini (Ita)
* Omega-Lotto (Bel)v
* Quick Step (Bel)
* Rabobank (Ned)
* Team Sky (GBR)
* Katusha (Rus)
* RadioShack (USA)
* Saxo Bank (Den)
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...or-eight-open-protour-licenses-in-2011_135320

Ex-Milram seems the shakiest of the current holders, with no new sponsor.

Liquigas-Doimo, HTC-Columbia and Ex-Caisse d’Epargne/Team Movistar are probably slam dunks.

- IMHO, the Fly V Aussie team, Vacansoleil, and Cofidis are long shots.

B-Box is my personal favorite for the "upgrade" followed by BMC.

Being interesting to see how the Conty-free Astana squad fares. . .

·
chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
den bakker said:
which 2010 results do you base BMCs merit on?
Evans won Fleche Wallonne and a great stage in the Giro. He also wore pink and yellow jerseys. Marcus Burghardt won 2 stages at the Tour de Suisse. That's more quality than Garmin in 2008 and they got the bump to Pro Tour status in 2009. I would definitely say BMC's 2010 season to now is better than current Pro Tour teams: Ag2R, FdJ, Footon, Milram. Probably on par with Lampre, Euskatel, and Omega-Lotto.

@Coolhand - I think even without AC that Astana is still a lock for a Pro Tour spot. Vino, love him or hate him, is exciting and gets results. Addition of Kreuziger is good move. And I think as long as Vino is involved there is no shortage of cashflow from the Kazakhs plus manager Giuseppe Martinelli has a long history of success in big teams with Saeco and Lampre.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts