Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
mohair_chair said:
Did you realize that the moment you posted this, it was out of date?
Seriously, don't waste my time posting old info.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
yessssssss .....

Scotty2Hotty said:
...until F1 in Bahrain. I'm so glad I get SpeedTV. :D

Here are the changes to the rules for 2006. The qualifying hour should be fun to watch..

http://www.formula1.com/insight/rulesandregs/13/995.html.
... can't wait !!! be fun to see how the changes affect the teams / racing ... as much as I love Ferarri , I have to admit it's exciting to see other teams / cars win .... kinda like the TDF will be with out LA !!!

JJ
still struggling with Amajor - although 2-3-4 helps ........
thanks for the slide demo !!!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Last year the whole same-tire-for-everything rule was a total debacle IMHO, glad to see it gone! I get kinda fed up with performance-limiting rules in F1, I feel like it should be the fastest of the fast, i.e. whatever you can put on the track is legal. Maybe a few safety rules, but what's up with reducing engine size?

·
Roadies Rejoice
975 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
Last year the whole same-tire-for-everything rule was a total debacle IMHO, glad to see it gone! I get kinda fed up with performance-limiting rules in F1, I feel like it should be the fastest of the fast, i.e. whatever you can put on the track is legal. Maybe a few safety rules, but what's up with reducing engine size?
I agree, the regulations introduced since 2003 have turned F1 into some sort of endurance contest without the drama of extended racing. The new qualifying format does nothing for me. I haven't watched a qualifying session since the changes that were made in 2003 (i think).

So many of the current rules do nothing to address alleged problems and also harm the sporting nature of F1. The two-race engine rule is an example of this kind of rule making. The stated purpose was to reduce costs, but I've read reports from the top teams that costs have actually increased because of this regulation. The reports stated that the level of quality control needed to build a reliable two-race engine requires much tighter adherance to tolerances and specifications in manufacturing. So instead of rejecting for example 50/100 piston castings, now they reject 99/100, and costs go up, plus we have to watch this weird aberation of F1.

F1 is the only sport I regularly watch, and I'll still watch the races, but to me qualifying should be 1 hour, whatever tires you want, whatever fuel level you want and simply go for it. Was there anything better than waiting for the last 3 minutes of qualfying and seeing Senna or Schumacher sitting in the pits, revving the engine waiting for the last possible moment to go on an all out flyer. They would start their qualifying lap just as time ran out on the session, so it was all or nothing. That was more exciting than anything currently proposed.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Americano_a_Roma said:
I agree. The draw of F1, I always felt, was that the sport was the pincacle of motor racing. If the other teams were getting whooped by Ferrari, maybe they should have built a better car. I feel like the limitations imposed on the sport hinder the technological development. FWIW, I am drunk right now, so I hope that was coherent.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
SteveCnj said:
I agree, the regulations introduced since 2003 have turned F1 into some sort of endurance contest without the drama of extended racing. The new qualifying format does nothing for me. I haven't watched a qualifying session since the changes that were made in 2003 (i think).

So many of the current rules do nothing to address alleged problems and also harm the sporting nature of F1. The two-race engine rule is an example of this kind of rule making. The stated purpose was to reduce costs, but I've read reports from the top teams that costs have actually increased because of this regulation. The reports stated that the level of quality control needed to build a reliable two-race engine requires much tighter adherance to tolerances and specifications in manufacturing. So instead of rejecting for example 50/100 piston castings, now they reject 99/100, and costs go up, plus we have to watch this weird aberation of F1.

F1 is the only sport I regularly watch, and I'll still watch the races, but to me qualifying should be 1 hour, whatever tires you want, whatever fuel level you want and simply go for it. Was there anything better than waiting for the last 3 minutes of qualfying and seeing Senna or Schumacher sitting in the pits, revving the engine waiting for the last possible moment to go on an all out flyer. They would start their qualifying lap just as time ran out on the session, so it was all or nothing. That was more exciting than anything currently proposed.
Agreed, that final hot lap was amazing.

I am a huge F1 fan. I have been to the USGP twice, well once if you don't count last years Michelin debacle. As amazing as it is to watch on TV, you have really got to see this in person to get a sense for exactly how many laws of physics seem to be broken every lap. I am happy with the new rules and I hope the new teams come up to speed quickly.

Anyone else plan on going to the USGP this year? Maybe we can get together on Saturday when you can sit anywhere on the track. If you are interested PM me and I will keep a tally of the faithful.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I agree. The draw of F1, I always felt, was that the sport was the pincacle of motor racing. If the other teams were getting whooped by Ferrari, maybe they should have built a better car. I feel like the limitations imposed on the sport hinder the technological development. FWIW, I am drunk right now, so I hope that was coherent.
You must be drunk Scotty. Ferrari hasn't whooped anyone in two years. I say this sadly. :mad:

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
handsomerob said:
You must be drunk Scotty. Ferrari hasn't whooped anyone in two years. I say this sadly. :mad:
I'm talkin' about when they were unbeatable and Schumacher actually won races--season before last.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
I'm talkin' about when they were unbeatable and Schumacher actually won races--season before last.
Do you think it was more the aero package on the F2004 Chassis, Shumi, or the Bridgestones? GD rule changes.

What I hated the most was how the tyre restrictions kept drivers from extreme threshold driving, specifically braking. If you flat-spotted anytime in the first half of the race, you were done. I'm not a big McLaren fan, but I was pretty pissed about Kimi's final lap snafu. Other than flatspotting a tyre early, he was flawless, and then on the final lap the suspension goes Ka-blewy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts