Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,474 Posts

·
59 Posts
The Surly Tule fits in most seat packs and the spoon-shaped handle works well tightening / removing the bolts. I also use the Pedros Trixie in my larger seat bag with along with a micro pump. Both also function as bottle openers, although I have only used that feature in the garage :)
Cheers Eric

·
Registered
452 Posts
I keep a Surly wrench in the seat pack so that I'll always have a viable tool but I usually try try to stuff a Campy peanut butter wrench in the jersey pocket, just in case. The latter is easier to use but the former always works in a pinch...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I formerly kept a regular length Craftsman combo wrench in my seatbag. I recently simplified to a much smaller Lezyne bag so the wrench didn't fit. The PDW 3wrencho easily fits. I flatted on Friday, felt dumb that I didn't try the PDW first to see if I had enough leverage. But good fortune was with me; standing on it worked fine.
Related story, on a group ride a few weeks ago, a new rider showed up on a Felt SS. He hit a pothole and flatted. The rest of us had geared bikes, so no wrench. It took us over an hour to repair his pinch flat without taking the wheel off.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'd recommend several $20 bills folded up ... buy your way out of any equipment failure.
I put tubless, i.e. solid, tires on my fixie. No flats, ever.
You should see the looks when I park it and folks start realizing that it has no valves.
Yep, only spoke holes. They are solid tires, no tubes, no valves sticking out.
Really freaks some folks out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take 1 regular length 15mm box/ring wrench, then use a carbide hacksaw blade or cutoff wheel to slice that box end off. Leaves you with a decent size handle for torque and a tool that will fit in any saddle bag I consider to be of usable size.

·
Master debator.
8,816 Posts
I throw a 15mm wrench in my back jersey pocket. If I crash and get skewered I guess I'll rethink that, if there is a next time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I throw a 15mm wrench in my back jersey pocket. If I crash and get skewered I guess I'll rethink that, if there is a next time.
So I get that we all have to make our own decisions on our respective risk tolerances - but being impaled on a peanut butter wrench with no sharp edges isn't even on my radar scope. In fact, I sometimes carry a micro-pump in my jersey which might double my risk. I guess I just like to live dangerously!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.