Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using the BHS SL218 in a 16:8 with the Kinlin xc279.

My thoughts are to go 2x both? or 3xDS / 2xNDS

Is this "style" equal to a 28h option due to the tensions being "more" even?

Reactions: Enoch562

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Normally, one would go radial NDS.
As you can actually buy the hub in a 16/8 drill pattern radial would seem to be doable (as there should be enough meat on the flange).

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So what's with all the triplet hate? Plenty of respected builders, Ergott, and Ligero, like building this way. I figured I'd give it a try for my next rear wheel.

I found a couple of good articles on the interweb regarding triplet lacing. I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks for all the help!

·
Boyd Cycling owner
377 Posts
If you are going to do the 16:8 (and there's no harm in trying it), you can not do 2x on the NDS. You may be able to get a 1X on there, but most wheels in this lacing pattern go radial NDS (elbows out will help even more with stiffness).

The DS you could go 3X as in theory you are building the drive side up just like a 32 spoke wheel.

One of the problems with this lacing pattern is that the NDS has a lot of tension on it, and only 8 spokes to distribute it. With radial lacing, this means there is a lot of stress on the NDS flange. It also means all this tension is pulling directly over the bearing if the flange is lined up over the bearing. If you ever were to break a NDS spoke you are calling for a ride home as with only 8 spokes the wheel will go way out of true.

There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
sure you can buy it...that doesn't automatically make it a good idea. case in point:
LOL, not something I would ever do, while the individual spoke tensions from side to side will match I prefer to avoid what I'll call a "scallop" tension profile along the rim. I'll stick with equal spoke counts and distributed loads.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
So what's with all the triplet hate? Plenty of respected builders, Ergott, and Ligero, like building this way. I figured I'd give it a try for my next rear wheel.

I found a couple of good articles on the interweb regarding triplet lacing. I'm going to give it a go.

Thanks for all the help!
I think you may be jumping to conclusions with the comment on "like building this way", I'll let the named folks comment themselves as to their preferences, as coachboyd stated "There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try."

but

"There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try. There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try."

If I had unlimited free time, I might give it a shot myself, I'd ride it a few times, and I go back to my overbuilt wheels. For me it's a "every gram counts - take the risk" race day wheel.

·
Domokun!
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you may be jumping to conclusions with the comment on "like building this way", I'll let the named folks comment themselves as to their preferences, as coachboyd stated "There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try."

but

"There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try. There's benefits and drawbacks. . . but it's definitely something fun to build up and give it a try."

If I had unlimited free time, I might give it a shot myself, I'd ride it a few times, and I go back to my overbuilt wheels. For me it's a "every gram counts - take the risk" race day wheel.
Like building this way was the wrong choice. I should have written "Have built this way". Ligero even had a triplet hub designed. Although it had better spacing for it than the BHS hub...

I plan on a 1xNDS with 15g and 2xDS with 14/15g.. Why these? I have the right length in the "spoke bin".

Should be a fun and challenging build.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I plan on a 1xNDS with 15g and 2xDS with 14/15g.. Why these? I have the right length in the "spoke bin".
Requirements for 2:1 lacing pattern (16:8 in your case):
- same spoke diameters on both sides (no thinner spokes on NDS!) for lateral stiffness
- rear hub with high asymmetry, left flange far out
- rim with either suitable spoke hole orientation (left-right-right-left) or forgiving normal hole orientation

On DS I would lace 3x for max. torsional stiffness and radial on NDS.
1x on NDS is a little hard on the spokes. They cross each other on the thicker part near the head because of the small flange diameter and get bent.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You are thinking logically, this would require the OP to buy more spokes vs. what is on hand.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Is it equal to a 28h? No, it is still only 24h. The rim still only has 24 spokes supporting it regardless of how the spokes are oriented, the way it supports the rim (assuming everything else is the same) isn't increased.

And Radial NDS and 3x DS.

·
강남 스타일
75 Posts
I recently spent a lot of time deciding on a lacing pattern for my rear wheel build. I tend to geek out on this sort of thing. FYI I'm 160 lbs and do two or three solo or group rides a week. I considered the following:

triplet 3x 1.5mm DS, 1x 1.8mm heads-in NDS
2x 1.8mm DS, 2x 1.5mm NDS
1x bladed heads-in DS, 2x 1.5mm NDS

I decided on a Novatec hub, which has a little wider NDS flange spacing than the BHS model. I computed lateral and torsional stiffness for all patterns and found all to be sufficiently stiff; laterally they were all very similar. Torsionally there was some difference but all plenty stiff for my riding.

In my mind the 2x/2x won out over the triplet due to greater stability in the event of a NDS spoke failure. However guys like us will might decide on a new wheelset long before fatigue makes this a real issue.

The 2x/2x won out over the 1x/2x because I couldn't find sufficiently beefy (1.8mm equivalent) bladed spokes for the DS with butts short enough that they cross on the bladed section to avoid derailleur clearance issues.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.