Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 5 years of riding my IF Steel Crown Jewel I started to itch for something different. I was patient in my search because I really like my bike. Well after a couple of months looking around I found what I wanted. A Giant TCR Comp in T-Mobile colors. But this is not just any TCR Comp, it was one of Tobias Steinhauser's frame. From what I can tell it was a custom frame for him, correct me if I am wrong. I searched and could not find another TCR Comp with these digits. ST is 54 c-t, TT is 55.5 c-c, HT is 175mm and the WB is 99. The STA is 73.5 and the HTA is 73.

The build is nothing crazy. ZIPP 404 tubies, Chorus front and rear derailleurs, Record levers, Centaur brakes, Thomson setback post, FSA OS 115 stem, Winwood Road Scholar bars, FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue cranks, FSA Platinum Pro Megaquad BB, Flite Ti saddle and LOOK PP296 pedals.

I took it for the first ride this morning. I LOVE THIS BIKE. I have been traveling for almost two weeks, so I have not ridden since I was at home last. I was 8/10's of a mph faster than my previous best on my normal loop. Up from 19 mph to 19.8 mph. My normal ave speed is mid 18's. So it may not be about the bike, but the bike sure does help.

It might have also been the BBQ Chorizo pizza I had last night for dinner also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Suuuweeeeet!!!

BikinCO said:
After 5 years of riding my IF Steel Crown Jewel I started to itch for something different. I was patient in my search because I really like my bike. Well after a couple of months looking around I found what I wanted. A Giant TCR Comp in T-Mobile colors. But this is not just any TCR Comp, it was one of Tobias Steinhauser's bikes. From what I can tell it was a custom frame for him, correct me if I am wrong. I searched and could not find another TCR Comp with these digits. ST is 54 c-t, TT is 55.5 c-c, HT is 175mm and the WB is 99. The STA is 73.5 and the HTA is 73.

The build is nothing crazy. ZIPP 404 tubies, Chorus front and rear derailleurs, Record levers, Centaur brakes, Thomson setback post, FSA OS 115 stem, Winwood Road Scholar bars, FSA Carbon Pro Team Issue cranks, FSA Platinum Pro Megaquad BB, Flite Ti saddle and LOOK PP296 pedals.

I took it for the first ride this morning. I LOVE THIS BIKE. I have been traveling for almost two weeks, so I have not ridden since I was at home last. I was 8/10's of a mph faster than my previous best on my normal loop. Up from 19 mph to 19.8 mph. My normal ave speed is mid 18's. So it may not be about the bike, but the bike sure does help.

It might have also been the BBQ Chorizo pizza I had last night for dinner also.
Super Sweet Ride!!!!:)

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
So this was Steinhauser's personal bike? Or is it just a TCR size ML with some nice components on it sold as Steinhauser's. :idea:

·
iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A couple of things to chew on

1. The stock ML has a 160 mm HT, a 53.5 ST and a 57 TT, Mine has a 175 mm HT, a 54 ST and a 55.5 TT so no it is not a standard frame size.

2. The guy I bought it from sells a lot of the old T-Mobile and Telekom frames and parts.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Wouldn't you think his name would be on the frame? Did you measure the TT along the tube or level? The ML has a 175 HT, the 0.5 cm difference in ST is most likely wishful thinking. The components are nowhre near T-moble gear. You've probably been had. You buy this on ebay?

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
I just can't stand blatant stupidity, 's all. :wink:

·
iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rogger said:
Wouldn't you think his name would be on the frame? Did you measure the TT along the tube or level? The ML has a 175 HT, the 0.5 cm difference in ST is most likely wishful thinking. The components are nowhre near T-moble gear. You've probably been had. You buy this on ebay?
His name is on the frame. My bike has two sides, a left and a right. The name is on the left side.

I measured a level line from the center of the ST to the center of the HT. That is the correct way to measure a TT.

A ML has a 160. A large has a 175.

You are correct that the components are not T-Mobile gear. I bought a FRAME! Then I built it up with the parts that I prefer. You can do that.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,941 Posts
Post a pic of the other side then. Proof me wrong.

·
Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
Don't know how much this adds to the discussion but over on the Serotta forum (the real one) there is a thread asking if Pro's ride custom geometry. One of the posters is the guy who makes lightweight carbon wheels that Jan has been seen riding in races.

He did not mention any team names but claims that some teams make individual molds for each rider so they can have custom geo carbon frames. Seems like he very well maybe refering to Giant.

·
iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lifelover said:
Don't know how much this adds to the discussion but over on the Serotta forum (the real one) there is a thread asking if Pro's ride custom geometry. One of the posters is the guy who makes lightweight carbon wheels that Jan has been seen riding in races.

He did not mention any team names but claims that some teams make individual molds for each rider so they can have custom geo carbon frames. Seems like he very well maybe refering to Giant.
Yup and mine is definately not a stock size, based on measurements.

·
iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rogger said:
You're right, I printed this up real quick to impress some dingleberry on the internet.

Tell you what, why don't you go to your local Giant dealer and ask for a bike with the measurements I listed. When they tell you that Giant does not make them, contact Giant directly and ask if they will build you one with the measurements of mine.

BTW, my sticker looks a lot like this one. Do you think he was scammed also?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.