Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted already. Couldn't find anything.

I'm looking to get 162.5mm crank arm or set for my 2005 Giant TCR. It came with 170mm and want to give short crank length a try. Any suggestions where I get find them? Can only find 165mm.

BCD110, 68mmBB, 9-speed compact double.

Thanks.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
Peter White Cycles: peterwhitecycles.com carries the Specialties TA brand cranks which offer an astonishing array of crank lengths and chainring offerings.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Sorry if this has been posted already. Couldn't find anything.

I'm looking to get 162.5mm crank arm or set for my 2005 Giant TCR. It came with 170mm and want to give short crank length a try. Any suggestions where I get find them? Can only find 165mm.

BCD110, 68mmBB, 9-speed compact double.

Thanks.
Please tell us exactly how you decided on 162.5 instead of 165. And before you answer please be aware that though there are lots of formulas to determine crank length, NONE of them are supported by actual data. Crank length is a matter of personal preference, not physiology.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please tell us exactly how you decided on 162.5 instead of 165. And before you answer please be aware that though there are lots of formulas to determine crank length, NONE of them are supported by actual data. Crank length is a matter of personal preference, not physiology.
I'm well aware that many of the articles are based on personal testimonial, not based on rigorous scientific study. Having said this, I'm not sure how much anything in cycling is based on rigorous scientific study. It seems that like many of us simply crowd source using sites like RBR.

I asked for 162.5mm as means to get list of places that sell crank arm length less than 165mm. If the cost was reasonable I was going to get few different crank arm to see which I prefer. Judging from the cost, that won't be happening. I'll simply get 165mm to check out if it'll work for me.

Based of vest majority testimonials, "shorter" crank arm doesn't seem to have adverse effect.

·
Registered
916 Posts
And before you answer please be aware that though there are lots of formulas to determine crank length, NONE of them are supported by actual data. Crank length is a matter of personal preference, not physiology.
That's great, but the OP never said that his decision to "to give short crank length a try" is somehow based on physiology or formulas. It might perfectly well be a matter of trying something else to find their personal preference, exactly as you said it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Cobb Cycling sells short cranks - 145mm up to 165mm in 5mm increments.

Cobb Cranksets | 145 mm, 155 mm, 160mm, 165mm

My 4' 11" girlfriend bought a set of SRAM Apex cranks from BikeSmith Design. He cuts them down to specific sizes (her's are 145mm). She was having some serious hip impingement issues before getting shorter cranks. She is so much more comfortable on her bike now.

Short Bicycle Cranks

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
What difference does it make what criteria he is using? He's not asking for us to help him decide what he wants. He's asking where to find the things.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. That's great.

I'll keep this in mind. I was looking for a cheapest way to try out shorter cranks and found Origin8 in Amazon. http://goo.gl/NrwAZG

I read that using Origin8 had mixed results in shifting performance.
Short Crank Database - Slowtwitch.com

If Origin8 crank arm fits, then I'll play around with different length. If I find that shorter crank length is for me, then I'll spend the money to buy the "proper" crankset.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Speaking from experience, Google isn't very good at giving practical answers to this question

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Thanks. That's great.

I'll keep this in mind. I was looking for a cheapest way to try out shorter cranks and found Origin8 in Amazon. http://goo.gl/NrwAZG

I read that using Origin8 had mixed results in shifting performance.
Short Crank Database - Slowtwitch.com

If Origin8 crank arm fits, then I'll play around with different length. If I find that shorter crank length is for me, then I'll spend the money to buy the "proper" crankset.

Thanks for your help.
I assume you know that not all cranks bolt on to all bottom brackets? The Origin8 you linked is a square taper. Others linked above you other types of BB adapters. You'll likely need to replace your BB/Adapter to work with the new cranks.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
What difference does it make what criteria he is using? He's not asking for us to help him decide what he wants. He's asking where to find the things.
He's complaining that the 162.5 cranks are too expensive compared to the 165. It is therefore reasonable to ask why he feels that 162.5 is a desirable alternative to 165. It goes to the question of "what it's worth."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts