Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@#$*%)(@$%&.

I just accidentally rode 97.86 miles. Not a century. 97.86 miles.

As I live in Europe I leave my computer metric so as not to have to translate the distances on road signs, so I wasn't really thinking about how 157.5k translates into miles. Like I couldn't have taken a scenic way home. )(*@#%&.

Stupid, I know, but I'm a slave to numbers, and three-digit mileage is cooler than two-digit mileage. As it stands, I might as well have just done 11 miles. Same number of digits. @)#*($&.

Maybe I'll ride around my apartment for three miles before I go to bed. That'll really kill average speed though.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
you should probably just quit riding

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,083 Posts
Agreed, what is the point of even riding again? If you have a nice bike, I will be more than glad to take it off your hands at substantially reduced price.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jupiterrn said:
Agreed, what is the point of even riding again? If you have a nice bike, I will be more than glad to take it off your hands at substantially reduced price.
Right on, good idea! Here's my ride, make me an offer:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
I would ride the 2.14 miles.......THAT IS 3.443996 clicks................GO..GO....GO....ride like the wind.............

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
boy....looking at that bike, I bet it is hard to hold a line on that sucker...but I gotta say...NICE BUILD!!!!!!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
very "organic" looking

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
I would ride the 2.14 miles.......THAT IS 3.443996 clicks................GO..GO....GO....ride like the wind.............
Yeah...WTF is the problem with going another 2.14 miles? You wouldn't invalidate the whole ride if you stopped to pee or get a drink. Just consider it an extended rest stop, involving lunch, a shower, watching a NASCAR race and taking a little nap. Then, properly refreshed, you went out and completed the ride.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
assuming the cyclo computer was dead nuts on and it REALLY was only 97.86 miles (unless he rides with GPS then get your a$$ back out there.)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
Ibashii said:
Right on, good idea! Here's my ride, make me an offer:
btw...iffen you rode that buggy 98 miles...I am impressed!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
you know you're still green if you ride around the block to satisfy a mileage reading.
eventually you log enough big rides that you really don't care just what it reads out as.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
boy....looking at that bike, I bet it is hard to hold a line on that sucker...but I gotta say...NICE BUILD!!!!!!
I was going to say "The seat's not level" but.......

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
seriously. finish up your ride. how long between stopping and realizing your mileage? if it's all in the same day it should still count.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
you are really going to be upset when you find the second magnet on your wheel...

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ampastoral said:
you are really going to be upset when you find the second magnet on your wheel...
I try and keep three or four on there, just to make the numbers bigger, ahem, I mean more accurate.

Just for the record, by the time I realized what had happened it was dark out and I already had most of a bottle of Corbières in me, so there was no going back out:).

·
Registered
636 Posts
If (1) You are in Europe, and (2) Your computer is in kilometers, (3) on a bike in Europe, then (c) why the bleep do "miles" even matter?

You should've done 42.5 more, to hit 200 km.

·
Le Misérable
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
o/0 said:
If (1) You are in Europe, and (2) Your computer is in kilometers, (3) on a bike in Europe, then (c) why the bleep do "miles" even matter?

You should've done 42.5 more, to hit 200 km.
Miles matter because I am a maladjusted expat who is too stoopid to let go 100% of the archaic and nonsensical units of measurements upon which I was raised...just one of the many ways in which I have no idea who I am anymore:).

The fact that I didn't realize the unfortunate mileage conversion until I'd been off the bike for 4 hours shows you how confused I am about my measurement identity: I was writing the numbers down in my log--which is all in kms--and I though hmm, wonder how many miles---ahhh, shizzle.

And it's too early in the season for 200 km...but I'll be here on June 26th for 216 with 4117m of climbing if anyone wants to join me:

http://www.ardechoise.com/index_en.php5?id=1_1

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
firmly declare it 100

Ibashii said:
@#$*%)(@$%&.

I just accidentally rode 97.86 miles. Not a century. 97.86 miles.

As I live in Europe I leave my computer metric so as not to have to translate the distances on road signs, so I wasn't really thinking about how 157.5k translates into miles. Like I couldn't have taken a scenic way home. )(*@#%&.

Stupid, I know, but I'm a slave to numbers, and three-digit mileage is cooler than two-digit mileage. As it stands, I might as well have just done 11 miles. Same number of digits. @)#*($&.

Maybe I'll ride around my apartment for three miles before I go to bed. That'll really kill average speed though.
Just lie to yourself and declare it 100 miles. Lying to yourself about something as harmless as this is a good thing to do. It helps perfect a skill that you will need in crucial situations, and almost daily as you get older.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
can't lie to a gps.......just saying

1 - 20 of 24 Posts