Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is found a cheap Shimano R535 wheelset (cheap is great in college). If/when I go through the rims, could I put 32h rims on and lace them up again. Sorry if this is stupid.

-Drew

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
16 and 32

axs186 said:
Is found a cheap Shimano R535 wheelset (cheap is great in college). If/when I go through the rims, could I put 32h rims on and lace them up again.
Mechanically, this is not difficult. What may be a problem is that a low spoke count wheel means that the tension is much higher for any given spoke. A 32 hole rim may not be strong enough to take these high tensions. It will depend on the specific rim.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You might run into some difficulty lacing the spokes. If I remember correctly, the 535 wheelset uses laterally crossed inverted spokes with heads in the side of the rim and oversize nipples at the hub. This kind of thing cannot be done with "normal" rims of any drilling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 535 is laced like that i guess. so would i be able to get a set of undrilled rims like the velocity deep v (picked because they offer a 16 hole design) and have them custom drilled to fit the shimano hubs?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
axs186 said:
the 535 is laced like that i guess. so would i be able to get a set of undrilled rims like the velocity deep v (picked because they offer a 16 hole design) and have them custom drilled to fit the shimano hubs?
you probably could, but it will probably be too expensive to make it worth your while - you would probably be better off getting a handbuilt wheelset from one of the online discount stores. it will also take you a very long time to go through the rims, barring mishap.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Forget it

axs186 said:
When I gave my previous advice, I'd neglected to go get the details of construction of your current wheels. Based on that, the short answer is that only a rim made SPECIFICALLY for replacing this one will work with any degree of performance. You can't be sure that any other rim would have the appropriate construction to deal with this spoking system. The hubs in these wheels are not that super hot that it would be worth doing what you propose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts