Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF Texas?

A teen truck driver in Texas ran over six cyclists on Saturday, sending four of them to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The cyclists riding along a highway in Houston when a black diesel pickup truck intentionally slowed down and then accelerated in front of them to blow exhaust on the cyclists, one of the riders said.

"I thought someone was dead," cyclist Chase Ferrell said, according to KRIV. "I heard a lot of crunching. I heard brakes. Tires screeching. People screaming."

Ferrell said the group was about 75 miles into their ride as they trained for an ironman. After the truck blew exhaust on cyclists in Ferrell's lane, the driver attempted to do the same maneuver on cyclists riding ahead of Ferrell, the cyclist said, culminating in the collision.

"The reason he couldn't stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists," Ferrell said. "He ended up hitting three people before his brakes even started."
Ferrell added that the driver, identified as a 16-year-old male, was intentionally trying to harass the cyclists. Authorities did not comment on the driver's condition, KTRK reported.

The teen driver was not arrested as of Saturday, KRIV reported. The Waller County Sheriff's Office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Updated: September 26, 2021 11:01 pm
Police in Waller say no arrest have been made and the case is still under investigation. 😲

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
I saw this earlier. Horrific. No arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
No arrest????
Yet another example of how cyclists seem to be treated a second class citizens.
A few years ago in my area two experienced cyclists were hit and killed in perfect daytime weather conditions by an older woman who left the seen of the obvious injury accident (a felony in my state). She was later found & claimed she didn't realize she had hit anyone despite her windshield being broken in the impact. No charges ever filed.

Police & prosecutors seem to feel a bicyclist riding the roads somehow justifies being hit by motorists (despite what traffic laws say).

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,947 Posts
I went on a cycling vacation in Austin a few years ago... got coal rolled twice. Never going back.

Great Tex-Mex though!

I hope all the riders are ok. The mentality in these areas is just crazy! It sounds like the kid knows the local law enforcement and is going to get away with it.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
31,077 Posts

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,717 Posts
"Texas. Need I say more."

This is NOT unique to Texas. It is happening around the US in 'Red' and' Blue' states alike. 😢
Indeed. I was rolled coal on once in NJ and buzzed many times there. Luckily no hits.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It's not just male drivers either. A few months ago DW and I were almost run over by a young woman who drove right through a stop sign WHILE LOOKING DOWN AT HER PHONE (texting?).
Luckily we were able to stop in time to avoid her. While we had the right of way, I am always expecting drivers to do 'bad things' :mad:

Live to ride & ride to live.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not just male drivers either. A few months ago DW and I were almost run over by a young woman who drove right through a stop sign WHILE LOOKING DOWN AT HER PHONE (texting?).
While that's also potentially horrific, there's a significant difference.
The guy that ran over these cyclists was in the process of intentionally assaulting them.

While we had the right of way, I am always expecting drivers to do 'bad things'
I often hear cyclists say (at 4 way stop signs with cars coming) "It's a 4 way stop, we can go".
😕

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just hope this story doesn't simply fade away and justice is served.

The comments I have seen from people are appalling. They are able to justify this person's actions by an experience they had with a cyclist at one point in their life.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This one isn't going to fade away.

“It is clear that the cycling community is feeling threatened and that there is nobody looking out for them in Waller County,” said Joe Cutrufo, executive director of the advocacy group BikeHouston.​
The injured riders have hired two lawyers who specialize in bicycle injury cases: Charlie Thomas of Houston and Peter Wilborn of South Carolina, founder of the national Bike Law Network.​
In response to a request for comment, the legal team released a statement acknowledging that it was representing all six riders.​
“We will update our Bike Law and cycling communities when it’s appropriate to do so,” the statement read. “In the meantime, and on behalf of these six bicyclists, we ask that you refrain from speculation and respect their privacy.”​
Waller police said the crash remains under investigation. Department officials did not anticipate providing any updates on the case until it is completed and did not confirm witness accounts. Police on Monday afternoon closed eastbound lanes of U.S. 290 Business as city officers and the Texas Department of Public Safety took measurements at the crash site and identified markings on the road.​
Oh cool... they came out two fcking days later to do an 'investigation' of the crash site. :rolleyes: It's clear they had no intention of investigating and then were pressured into it.

On Monday, FOX 26 interviewed Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis about the case. According to Mathis, he became aware of the crash around the same time people on social media started contacting him.

"I’m very troubled by what I’ve read," said Waller County District Attorney Elton Mathis. "If what I read was true, we’ve got some issues."

We’re told the 16-year-old driver stayed at the scene and met with police on Saturday. However, the teen was not arrested.

"I don’t have the evidence in front of me at this point to say, why he wasn’t arrested, [or] should he have not been arrested," said Mathis. "I’m waiting for the investigation [report] to get here so we can make those determinations to seek justice."

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,717 Posts
1 - 20 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.