Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so ive decided i want to start racing - ive gone out and bought a nice bike.... all i need to do now is become a better rider. im 23 years old. 6'2" and wiegh about 90kg. i come from a rowing background.

what's a good cycling program to get myself superfit on the bike in a 16-17 week timeframe?

what're some things i should be doing on my rides? should i focus on climbing, long flat rides? short more intensive rides?

my max heart rate is around 200 - im guessing my optimal 'training zone' is between 160 and 180?

any advice/tips/methods would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

·
Registered
380 Posts
What kind of race is it? If it's a crit, you'll want to focus on interval training for quick acceleration. If it's a hilly road race, you'll want to focus more on building your endurance. If you continue to race, you'll probably end up doing a lot of both kinds of races, so you should probably do both. The biggest thing, though, is to ride with a group, preferably a fast, experienced one. You will definitely need to practice pack riding skills and bike handling--nothing compares to the thrill/fear of riding handlebar to handlebar with fifty or more equally nervous riders, going 25 mph. With your rowing background and age, the fitness will probably come quickly, but the handling skills will need a lot of practice, and you can really only get that in a group.

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
This past weekend I was told I should ride my first race (Chapel Hill, Texas). It is a 50 mile race on rolling hills. What pace would a typical CAT 5 do...I was told the group usually stays pretty close together except for maybe a couple of rabbits and that the group only keeps about a pace of 18mph..does that seem right?

Also, during a 50 mile race, I assue there are no rest stops, but how do you get more liquid if you run out during the race??

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Race?

MCF said:
This past weekend I was told I should ride my first race (Chapel Hill, Texas). It is a 50 mile race on rolling hills. What pace would a typical CAT 5 do...I was told the group usually stays pretty close together except for maybe a couple of rabbits and that the group only keeps about a pace of 18mph..does that seem right?

Also, during a 50 mile race, I assue there are no rest stops, but how do you get more liquid if you run out during the race??
Unless it's quite hilly, 18 seems pretty slow for a race. Is this really a race, or is it an organized ride? If it's a race, there certainly are no rest stops. At 50 miles, there might be a feed station where someone could hand up bottles, but you/your team would have to arrange to have someone there with musette bags and bottles. Otherwise, you carry what you need, perhaps with an extra bottle in your jersey pocket or even a Camelback.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.