Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
gr8spinner
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 5'6" with an inseam of 29". I used a 172.5 crank for 4 years then dropped down to a 170mm this year and haven't noticed any difference. Which length should I be on? I have the opportunity to get a free pair of 172.5 FSA K-Force. Are they too long for me?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
No way to tell

gr8spinner said:
I'm 5'6" with an inseam of 29". I used a 172.5 crank for 4 years then dropped down to a 170mm this year and haven't noticed any difference. Which length should I be on? I have the opportunity to get a free pair of 172.5 FSA K-Force. Are they too long for me?
The short answer is that you will adapt to just about any crank length. There's no way to determine which is best for you, or for that matter if "any old length" would be just fine. You've ridden both and can't tell the difference, so obviously 172.5 isn't too long. Some will tell you they can really feel 2.5 mm, others will say it's all in your head.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
cdhbrad said:
Free Crank and you even ask? Seriously, though the difference is so small you won't notice. I have bikes 172.5 and 175 cranks and have to read it off the crankarm to know there is any difference.

yeah, if you don't want or like it, just sell it... free $

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
If you haven't noticed, you will still probably not notice. Technically the shorter arms are a little better for "spinning," the shorter a bit better for "mashing," but I have 172.5 on one bike and 170 on another and can't tell.

·
Registered
118 Posts
On the other hand

I have 175, got some 180's and it felt like was pedaling with yard sticks (errr, I mean 0.9144 meter sticks). Any way it was very, very, very noticible. The interesting thing to me was not that I had to adjust my saddle height, but that I had to adjust my saddle fore/aft position as well. I'm 6'3", so 180's aren't out of the question, but just didn't feel right. My shop guy says I need 177.5's, but those only come in Dura-Ace (for Shimano), so I don't think that's happening any time soon.

-Bob

·
What the Hell is going on
5,894 Posts
I noticed

Kalukis said:
I have 175, got some 180's and it felt like was pedaling with yard sticks (errr, I mean 0.9144 meter sticks). Any way it was very, very, very noticible. The interesting thing to me was not that I had to adjust my saddle height, but that I had to adjust my saddle fore/aft position as well. I'm 6'3", so 180's aren't out of the question, but just didn't feel right. My shop guy says I need 177.5's, but those only come in Dura-Ace (for Shimano), so I don't think that's happening any time soon.

-Bob
I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam (measured a la LeMond method) and I noticed a big difference from 175 to 177.5's. Not so much while spinning on the flats but climbing I can maintain a costant cadence without "mashing" down on the pedals. 180's make even a more noticable difference. Unfortunately Dura-Ace and Record are the only options for longer cranks. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.