Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I currently ride with a 170mm Sram rival cranks. Thus far, I feel really comfortable with this set up. I've ridden over 200 miles in the past 1 month. Still, I am relatively new to road biking. I was looking at a set of Sram force cranks 172.5mm that I can get for a pretty good deal. Would I notice much difference going to a slightly longer cranks? Thanks for any advice and comments.

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Would you NOTICE much difference? No. Would you IMAGINE you notice a difference? Possibly. But only if you have an active imagination.

My advice would be: Save your money. Spend it on something you'll really get some use out of, like tires or tubes or tools or clothing.

My comment would be (and I offer this in the most benign way possible, with no intent of being smug or nasty): You say you're fairly new to road biking; only 200 miles in a month; and yet it sounds like you may already be succumbing to upgrade-itis. That's a slippery slope with no bottom. An improvement to you, the motor, will always make far, far, FAR more difference than any minor upgrade to your bicycle. So every time you're feeling the urge to spend money, go out and ride 50 miles. In the long run that will accomplish more, and it won't cost you a thing.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Allez Rouge said:
Would you NOTICE much difference? No. Would you IMAGINE you notice a difference? Possibly. But only if you have an active imagination.

Save your money. Spend it on something you'll really get some use out of, like tires or tubes or tools or clothing.
Thanks. That's what I wanted to know. So I guess switching to a 172.5 setup would essentially feel the same as the 170 setup...regardless of whether it's Force or Rival.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Right. If they were disguised you wouldn't be able to tell which was which. A very experienced cyclist of this board tore his bike down to rebuild it & do some maint. He was surprised to find that for the past year he'd been riding with 2 different sized crank arms - 170 on one side, 172'.5 on the other. He never suspected.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,265 Posts
Count me in as a guy who is sensitive to crank arm length. I have bikes with all three of the common crank arm lengths -- 170, 172.5 and 175, and I have truly found that I am happiest with a 172.5. The thing is, if you're comfortable right now, don't sweat it. Spend the money someplace else. Like on a quality pair of shorts. Now that's a difference you'll feel.

Then, someday, try out a bike with a different arm length. Who knows?

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
If you're looking at stuff like this, perhaps look at getting a bike fit. Your preference may boil down to sizing and what kind of pedal stroke you have. I'm a pretty small racer and prefer high cadence, so I gravitate to the smaller crank arms.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Its a tenth of an inch ... how can it make a perceptible difference? The variance in the thickness of shoe soles and cleats is probably much larger. I doubt you'd notice going from 170 to 180.

Like others have said, save your money --- if you're into biking, there's something out there that you'll just have to buy right over the horizon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts