Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to hear the writer of the book speak, maybe a couple of times. Was wondering if anyone's read the book, what it was strong in, what it wasn't so strong in, and what bias' it had.

Any questions you'd ask. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Flip Flash said:
I'm going to hear the writer of the book speak, maybe a couple of times. Was wondering if anyone's read the book, what it was strong in, what it wasn't so strong in, and what bias' it had.

Any questions you'd ask. Thanks for your thoughts.
Think I posed this in PO a week or so ago. I recently read it and I thought it was a fascinating account of the time and figures that played a part in the reolutionary war. Take my opinion of the book with a grain of salt though as I am not a historian--nor do I regularly read history books. The thing that struck me most is how this book humanized the players--sometimes our High school history texts tend to paint the founding fathers as something other than human and this book really shows them as they were--warts and all. The takeaway I got from the book was how the war could have gone either way many times. The deciding factor in many battles was luck (or The "Hand of Providence" as Flip might be interested to read), surprise and favorable weather. All in all a good read, but as TMB pointed out it is not a very thick book so if you're looking for an exhaustive history on the Revolutionary war or Washington I'd look elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would it be good for my 11 yr old to read it

Thanks for writing. I wrote this remember you had a thread about it and since I was going to hear him speak hoped you'd answer.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please let me know if my son could read it and get a good basic understanding. Thanks.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Flip Flash said:
Thanks for writing. I wrote this remember you had a thread about it and since I was going to hear him speak hoped you'd answer.

Thanks for your thoughts. Please let me know if my son could read it and get a good basic understanding. Thanks.
IMO--the typical 11 year old would be bored to death by it, but it should be readable by an 11 year old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts