Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

On an 18 speed bike (2x9) how many of the gear combinations will actually be usable. At the moment on my bike when on the big chain ring I can not go into the 3 biggest sprockets on the rear with out getting alot of noise from the drive train (I assume due to chain line) and similar with small chain ring and 3 small sprockets. How normal is this and is there anything that can be tweaked to reduce noise.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
bits said:
Hi All,

On an 18 speed bike (2x9) how many of the gear combinations will actually be usable. At the moment on my bike when on the big chain ring I can not go into the 3 biggest sprockets on the rear with out getting alot of noise from the drive train (I assume due to chain line) and similar with small chain ring and 3 small sprockets. How normal is this and is there anything that can be tweaked to reduce noise.
You could possibly trim the FD a bit to get rid of some of the noise, but the real issue is cross chaining. If you've got a BB that allows some adjustment of chainline, you can futz w/ that to get better results in the ratios you use.

I use Campy 10spd and most of the time I'll not use the 3 cogs at the extreme. For short periods, I might use the third cog from the extreme end. And for very short bursts I might use the second cog from the extreme end. I never cross chain to the most extreme cog. In the second and third extreme cogs there's noise from rub, but there's no getting around that.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bits said:
Hi All,

Per Shimano - On a double, you should not use the two extremes.

You should have two trim positions for each ring in front and be able to go to any combination without the chain hitting the front derailleur.

You may have a problem on the small ring and outside cog with the chain hitting the big ring.

The more extreme the angle, the more chain noise you will get. This is normal, but should be minimal.

TF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts