Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cost

Ligero said:
Both Tune and White Industries make a 18h front hub. I think the Speedcific hubs might be avilable in 18h also.
can you PM me how much this would cost, also to make 32 spoke rear wheel
(I have campy hub). I am not building wheel right now, maybe months from now.
Is there any advantage of prebuilt wheels over your 18 spoke wheels, maybe they can be built with higher tension?

·
Registered
228 Posts
steel515 said:
are there any 18 spoke hubs except american classic?
There are tons of 18-spoke hubs: just use a 36-spoke hub and skip every other hole.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Radial lacing a 36 hole hub

HeronTodd said:
There are tons of 18-spoke hubs: just use a 36-spoke hub and skip every other hole.
I don't think I'd recommend that. 18 spoke wheels are usually radially laced (since there is an odd number of spokes on each side, so you can't use a symmetric crossing pattern). Radial lacing loads the flanges in their weakest direction, i.e. directly away from the flange. 36 hole flanges usually have little material left between the holes, so a 36 hole flange is even weaker in radial lacing than those with fewer spoke holes.

The best bet is to find an 18 hole hub designed for radial lacing (and since an 18 spoke wheel virtually has to be radially laced, a manufacturer shouldn't produce an 18 hole hub that isn't designed for radial lacing!).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mark McM said:
I don't think I'd recommend that. 18 spoke wheels are usually radially laced (since there is an odd number of spokes on each side, so you can't use a symmetric crossing pattern). Radial lacing loads the flanges in their weakest direction, i.e. directly away from the flange. 36 hole flanges usually have little material left between the holes, so a 36 hole flange is even weaker in radial lacing than those with fewer spoke holes.

The best bet is to find an 18 hole hub designed for radial lacing (and since an 18 spoke wheel virtually has to be radially laced, a manufacturer shouldn't produce an 18 hole hub that isn't designed for radial lacing!).
I agree with the radial lacing bit. Ideally you would have a cold-forged hub shell, but I've even seen those explode from radial lacing (including one that blew apart sitting in the back of my shop - it hadn't been on a bike in months).

I know this question hasn't been asked, but I wouldn't be using an 18-hole hub or rim anyway. 18 holes are for golf. I don't golf. All of my wheels are 28 holes or more.

G

·
I still have a radial laced front wheel downstairs, built on a 36 hole hub. Served me well for many years in Time Trials, just don't use it now.

I was actually thinking of rebuilding it as a 36 spoke wheel with a set of unused Fiamme rims I have in the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.