Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about swapping to some 700c wheels and was wondering if anyone has any experience changing from center-pull brakes to calipers and what they used. The bike is mostly campy now and I'd like to keep it that way. But if I have to buy Tektro to do this I would. Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
330 Posts
Tektro's aint gonna do it. You need a long reach nutted style brake, not something very fashionable these days. Standard reach Campy Record with flat Q/R's would be the right thing if the rest of the bike is Record/Nouvo Record. Didn't the Pro come 700c's originally?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has 27's and Weinmann brakes????

They may not be stock but there is a whole lotta room between the brakes and the tires!

·
On your left
145 Posts
Weinmann & Universal both made long-reach sidepulls in the early to mid-70's. Either one would be more faithful to the Raleigh's heritage.

I recall the Weinmanns came in at least 3 different reaches, the 500 (short), 730 (medium long) & 810 (long) that must have referred to the reach: 50, 73 & 81 mm. If you get lucky you might find a set of 730 or 810 on a thrift-store Schwinn Varsity for next to nothing. Most of the Schwinn brakes were marked "Schwinn Approved" but were Weinmanns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts