Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everyone. I'm restoring my Peugeot road bike from about 1970 and I'm having some issues. The whole project started with a broken rear derailleur pulley and four derailleurs later I'm still having issues. I'm trying to keep a vintage look to the bike so I bought a simplex derailleur off ebay that was the same as the one I had, but that one ended up breaking. I think the plastic pulleys are just too old and brittle. Right now I'm using a newer shimano derailleur that one of my local bike shops found for me because it has the same type of hanger as my old one. I'm wondering what other people have been doing for derailleurs on their old restores? I would like to keep with the vintage look but maybe substitute the plastic pulleys for more durable metal ones. Please let me know if you have any suggestions of what to do about a rear derailleur or if you have any other suggestions. Thank you.
Below are before and after pictures of the bike as well as the broken derailleur pulleys.

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
white lemon said:
Hey there everyone. I'm restoring my Peugeot road bike from about 1970 and I'm having some issues. The whole project started with a broken rear derailleur pulley and four derailleurs later I'm still having issues. I'm trying to keep a vintage look to the bike so I bought a simplex derailleur off ebay that was the same as the one I had, but that one ended up breaking. I think the plastic pulleys are just too old and brittle. Right now I'm using a newer shimano derailleur that one of my local bike shops found for me because it has the same type of hanger as my old one. I'm wondering what other people have been doing for derailleurs on their old restores? I would like to keep with the vintage look but maybe substitute the plastic pulleys for more durable metal ones. Please let me know if you have any suggestions of what to do about a rear derailleur or if you have any other suggestions. Thank you.
Below are before and after pictures of the bike as well as the broken derailleur pulleys.

First of all, beautiful job on the restore.... Gorgeous bike..

You should be able to use replacement pulleys with the Simplex derailleur...any LBS should carry them...just make sure they are the same diameter as your current ones.

Another option is to use a more modern derailleur..since you are using friction shifting and not index, any road will work.... Check eBay for Shimano 600 or 105 older models...They will work just fine....

If you can't find anything, PM me...I might be able to help

·
Frog Whisperer
40,942 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
First of all, beautiful job on the restore.... Gorgeous bike..

You should be able to use replacement pulleys with the Simplex derailleur...any LBS should carry them...just make sure they are the same diameter as your current ones.

Another option is to use a more modern derailleur..since you are using friction shifting and not index, any road will work.... Check eBay for Shimano 600 or 105 older models...They will work just fine....

If you can't find anything, PM me...I might be able to help

me too I have a 1/2 dozen vintage rear derailleurs I could send you

edit: actually, I have 18 vintage rear der.....shimano, suntour and huret.......price is right.....free

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
You certainly improved the look and performance of your UO8 with better parts. I see absolutely no reason to stay with Simplex derailleurs - - possibly the most gawdawful units ever made. Surely the French sought revenge on us for something we did to them.

Go Suntour, Shimano, or Campy. Then see how far you can throw those Simplex POS's.

Oh, hopefully a new rear derailleur will take up some chain slack for you. Otherwise remove a link or two.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,942 Posts
fast ferd said:
Then see how far you can throw those Simplex POS's.
depending on th OP's age and condition of the shoulders, I would HIGHLY recommend some kind of launcher!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the help. TouchOGray, I would certainly like to take a look at those old derailleurs (maybe you could PM me with some pictures). I've tried to find pulleys to fit in my simplex derailleur at my LBS but they didn't really have anything that would fit (they tend to carry more modern components). This is what I get for trying to restore a 40 year old bike! I've restored most things on the bike, getting the crank off was the hardest thing, we finally had to resort to a grinder! The rear derailleur has also posed quite a problem along with finding correctly sized bolts for the stem and seat post binder.

Thanks again for the help...more suggestions are always welcome.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,942 Posts
what size are the pulleys (diameter and number of teeth)? I'll post some pics in the morning

need some front derailleurs too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Touch0Gray said:
what size are the pulleys (diameter and number of teeth)? I'll post some pics in the morning

need some front derailleurs too?
the pulleys on the simplex have 10 teeth and are about 1.4 inch in diameter. The main problem I've been having with finding new pulleys is that the inner diameter is too bit or too small for the simplex derailleur. From reading other peoples' posts I think I might abandon the simplex derailleurs since those haven't really been working for me anyway and go with another vintage derailleur. Sure I'll look at front derailleurs too...that would be cool if the front and rear ones matched. Anything will be better than the huge honker I have on there now (which isn't more than a chain tensioner at the moment so that I can actually ride the bike).
Thanks again for the help with the derailleurs :)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,942 Posts
"inventory"

Rear
SunTour
XCE
BL………..2
VX……….2
XR100
XC ltd
Huret
Shimano
Deore XT
Deore DX……..2
SIS with hanger
Z505…………..3
exage 400 LX…2

Front
Suntour Alpine tech?
AR

Shimano
fd at11………..2
fd z206
fdz204………...2

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Man, TOG...that's some inventory! Do you have a chromed cage spring fixing bolt for a '63 Campy Record rear? Or metal outer washers for '71 Campy downtube shifters? :)

FWIW, any time somebody says they've got a better derailluer than a Simplex and it's a Huret, well, that's like saying Janet Reno looks better than Ruth Ginsberg. lol

I'd take that Suntour BL with the short cage. It will shift far better than the Huret and won't look as funky as those humongous caged units. Although those shifted great, if memory serves me right. Heck, they all shift great. Friction shifting at its best!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TOG, thanks for the pictures. I'll have a look and let you know (probably when I get home from class this afternoon). My main concern is that the hanger attaches to the bike the same way the simplex one does (in the pictures of my original post) or that i can use the hanger from the simplex one with another derailleur (which hasn't been so successful thusfar). Later I will measure the hanger/derailleur attachment and let you know. worst case scenario you can just send me a bunch of them that look like they'll work and I can send you back the ones that don't (if you want them). Thanks again, I'm so excited about getting a derailleur that will work!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Looks like the Shimano DX or SIS are your best bet since they are the only ones I see with built in hangers. All other rear derailleurs require a hanger integral to the rear drop out. The SIS visually most resembles your Simplex and should be a good alternative.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
orbeamike said:
Looks like the Shimano DX or SIS are your best bet since they are the only ones I see with built in hangers. All other rear derailleurs require a hanger integral to the rear drop out. The SIS visually most resembles your Simplex and should be a good alternative.
Yeah...I see that those are the only two with a hanger. I also have the hanger off my simplex so if that could attach to any of the other ones they might work too. The SIS or Shimano DX do look like my best bets at the moment.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Maybe those old Simplex and Huret derailleurs are correct for the period, but I know from experience that they were crap. Even a fairly cheap "modern" Shimano is better in every respect (except maybe weight, but only for top-of-the-line Hurets).

·
Registered
30 Posts
white lemon said:
I'd be curious to know more about your restoration. I recently bought a 70s era Peugeot
that I think is a UO 8 from the mid 70s. I plan on using it as a commuter, but would like to make some minor upgrades while preserving the look of the bike as much as possible.

Namely changing out the steel wheels to something lighter that I can use hooked bead tires on (I've heard the old steel 27" can be a pain to seat tires on and aren't the best for braking). That and either putting some clips on the pedals or maybe even going clipless.

Naturally it wasn't until after I bought the bike that I learned about all those lovely non-standard French sizes on pre-80s Peugeots. Bottom bracket, stem, seatpost, etc. Just wondering how much of that you dealt with.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts