Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Yikes! That geometry looks like a nightmare! Looks like you'll end up riding it like a "krate" bike with that seat leaning so far back.

OK, what I see is cottered cranks (cheap), single ring, cheapo stamped pedals, and those awful early-70's 1/2 fenders. Add to that the non-standard threading common on Raleighs of the period, and you end up with .......a $20 piece of wall art.

I certainly hope you didn't pay more than $20 for this bike. It probably isn't even worth that. don't even consider trying to "restore" it-it just ain't worth it. I remember bikes like this one being sold for about $100 back then-it's nothing more than a bottom-line kids bike. Probably hasn't been maintained, and parts are nearly unavailable for it today.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Notice, though, that the geometry of that Masi is pretty 'normal', wheras the Raleigh looks just awful. I'm assuming that this Raleigh kid's bike was just a cobbling-together of off-the-shelf tubes, somewhat resembling a real road bike.Maybe unusual, but hardly worth restoring. Might as well put a banana seat on it.....

BTW, is that rear brake cable correct there? Looks like it's gonna go into the spokes pretty easily.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.