Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Colnago I bought back in 1981. Back around 2002 or so I had a wreck and bent up the original steel forks and replaced it with an Alpha Q carbon fork. I'm not sure which model of Alpha Q fork it is though. I'll have to look through my records and see if I can find the exact date I bought it and then maybe I can contact them to find out the specs on this fork.

I am wondering if anybody knows the rake of the original Colnago forks for this frame. I am thinking of getting a new paint job and also buying a new steel fork for it. The Alpha Q fork is ok except for it being limited to using 23mm tires, anything wider and when bits of gravel stick to the tire the gravel comes under the fork and scrapes away at it - not a good thing for a carbon fork!

·
Boobies!
8,173 Posts
Hey,
Most of the Colnago forks, at least from the Precisa generation (straight blades) are 43 deg, & I think they have maintained that with the new carbon forks as well.

(I welcome corrections from those who know a helluva lot more than I do....)

Cheers,
Dean
(there was someone on eBay with a lot of threadless precisas in black--I had one but resold it--and there are some on offer right now... Chrome seem harder to find, but they turn up from time to time)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fork I'm using now is an Alpha Q with either 42 or 44mm rake. I contacted Alpha Q but since the steering column on my fork didn't having any product numbers they weren't able to identify the exact model but said it would be either the 42 or 44. The bike rides good with the fork and a 43mm makes sense. I contacted my LBS and the owner told me that I might be able to get a frame builder to determine the exact measurements of the fork. I might do this since I was planning on having a steel fork made anyway.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts