Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me about this bike and where I can find 27 1 1/8 tires? It seems to be completely orginal and in great condition except for the orginal tires. They need replaced.
I picked it up today from a second hand sports store. This is my first road bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Wallwart. You should get some tubes, tire pump too. I would take it to someone you know who has a bike, they could look it over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to order them online. I live in a small mountain town, closest Walmart is 2 hours away.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here are some more possibilities.

Any of these is a decent tire, though nothing great. You might find some others if you look on line. Also look for ISO 630; it's the same as 27'. Usually lighter tires with little or no tread ride nicer on the road, but if you will be on loose stuff or gravel you might prefer some tread.

Ordering tires on line should be fine, no need to buy them in person. Note, though, that shipping charges could bump your total cost. Tire sizes are pretty standard, although things vary enough that some tires are hard to mount on some rims, even when they are supposedly the same size.

If you can't find a 27" tube you can probably get a away with something made to fit 700x28c or thereabouts. Be sure to get the right valve type. From your photos it looks like you have schrader valves, not presta.

I hope you enjoy your Miata! Looks to be in decent shape. If it were mine I'd take off the brake extenders.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For more selection and options you can also mount 27X1 1/4 on those rims. Just a little wider.

Looks like it is in nice shape.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The people who have bought this style of used bike from me almost always prefer keeping the auxiliary brake levers in place. It's not a bike for racing, and the brakes can typically be serviced to brake quite well from either lever.

I've kept them on my Steyr Clubman and my American Eagle Kokusai, each of which I often use on training rides.
The Aux lever position lets my back recover while recovering from any pull at the front (while still retaining safe braking access).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts