Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my project is a '85 trek 400. It has 27" wheels on it right now. My question is, if i buy a set of 700c fixie wheels are they going to be ok? I don't know how much differenve there is between 700 and 27.
Thanks

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
the difference is small: 4mm smaller radius, (8mm diameter). They will work fine. You might need to get a longer reach brake caliper (or calipers), assuming you're using a brake (or brakes). That's worth it, considering the advantage of 700c wheels (much wider tire selection).

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome... thanks for the reply. If i go fixed im not putting brakes on it. I may start with just a front but in my tiny west central ohio town, i won't need them at all.
now to find a CHEAP wheelset.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude, I have the same bike. I'm building it with 700c Campy/shimano 600 wheels I got for 40 bucks, TT bars and levers. I love the "TREK" cast in the lugs. I'm building mine as a single speed and I'm wondering what brakes to buy for it.. I think the 700c's really modernize the look of the bike especially with the wider choice of tires available for them.

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im thinking the dia-compe brakes that came on it will work. They have quite a bit of adjustment in them. I almost didn't start this project with this bike. It is all original and has probably less tha 500 miles on it. it had the goofy maillard freewheel stuff and I belive it has simplex derailleurs. but I don't think its gonna have much collector value, so I'm stripping it down. I think stripped down and some nice looking paint will make this bike look really good. like you said the lugs and the dropout have trek cast into them and stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.