Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took delivery of a 1986 Masi 3v. its a 56cm C-T seat tube size.
I was reading an old review of the 3v and in that review, it was stated that the 56cm frames were to weigh around 3lb 11oz. thats pretty impressive for a 1980's steel frame. So when I unwrapped mine, I took it inside and placed it on the postal scale we have at work. measured weight - 4lbs 13oz....I was taken back a bit. 1lb more than their claimed weight.

So...I am wondering if there are other 1980's Masi 3v owners out there that know their frame weight and if this is comparable.

dont get me wrong, I am not overly concerned with the weight, if I was, I wouldnt have purchased a steel frame from 1986 in the first place. I am just a bit taken on the claimed weight being a whole pound less than my findings.

Anyone got a 1980's 3v?

Kevin

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not remove any of those, all of which are on the frame when i weighed it. I also made a mistake Mine isnt a 56cm CT, its a 57cm CT. so it may not come in at 3 lbs 11oz, but being 1 cm in size larger shouldnt cause a whole pound in weight.

I was just wondering if anyone else had a 3v of this age and if they knew the weight.

thanks
Kevin

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
plus they typically lied back then... when they first came out flite saddles were supposed to be what, 160gm? 175? something ridiculous (for the time) and not even close to actual

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
4lb 13oz sounds pretty normal for that time. Most frame/forks from that era hovered around the 6 pound mark, only varying a couple oz either way. If I remember correctly, those Masi 3v being on the heavier side of average. I wouldn't even think about it. You will never feel it on the road, if anything, a more stoutly frame will ride better. Congrats and please post some photos.

brewster

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
brewster-
i dont really plan to get hung up on it, i just thought a whole pound was outside the normal "fudging" of frame weight claims.
The frame is in need of a repaint, the clear coat and glittery coat are devistated on this frame. I will post pics of it after the repaint, and spreading of the rear, 126 allows for me to put my wheel in, but its just not fun doing it. I hope to get a second water bottle boss set put on too.
Kevin

·
Registered
549 Posts
The paint treatment you'll be asking for is likely "pearl". It can be added to any coating but usually just to the clear. With decals you have to apply them after the pearl clear then clear over them again without pearl added.
Nice light wheels and you'll have a great vintage bike!
Do keep us informed.
Dave
KC

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Kevin-

That's funny you mention the bottle bosses. My '90 Rossin only has one set as well. Somebody know what the reasoning behind this was? Maybe the bikes weren't meant to be ridden in the heat of the summer?...ha!

brewster

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The word back in the 80's was that the 3V Masi's were on the "heavy" side. The internal lugs don't offer any inherent weight advantage over traditional lugged construction. The plus was supposed to be "ride quality."

Regardless, that sounds about ballpark for an '80's steel frame. And those 3V's are sweet.

Post some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will post pics when done. I just found a place in White River Junction, Race Metalsmiths, apparently they do powdercoats on bikes for $80. this is good news for me as I drive through WRJ everyday to work and I will save on the shipping the frame somewhere and I might get to work with them more than if I sent it out to be done.
I am thinking of going a Beige color and then do brown saddle and maroon handlebar wrap. somehow, not sure how yet, but its my goal.

Kevin

·
Registered
320 Posts
A friend of mine purchased a used Masi "Gran Criterium" back about 1984. I'm not certain what vintage it was but he didn't like it. He wound up re-building his Univega. I think it was called a "Superstrada?" This may be blastphemy on these forums but sometimes Italian mystique isn't all it's cracked up to be.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.