Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am looking to get into cycling and want a cheap starter bike to make sure I truly and interested long term. Here is a link to a bike, the seller was willing to go down to $260. Is that a fair price. From what I've read that sounds a bit high but maybe in missing something about the bike that makes it worth it. Thanks so much!

1987 Panasonic DX-2000 12-Speed Mens road bike 54cm

·
Registered
92 Posts
You know that is a tough one. I just picked up a Giant OCR 3 for $190 of cl. Its shimano Sora 8 speed. Its a bike for running around the coast when I go on vacation. For a decent rider starter kind of bike I would probably look for something a bit newer with brifters. But you will have to be fast at the price range you are looking at. Good deals usually get snatched up in a hurry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post. So what shifters and brakes are coming with this bike. All things considered is his asking price fair? I'm really looking to just get something to test whether or not I'm willing to expend the energy on a regular basis and to test and see if I will realistically ride it as a mode of transportation. If so then I plan on saving for a much nicer bike over the course of 6-12 months.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
its not worth it. not close. It was only $330 new! It's worth about $50 tops. Heard of one that sold for $35. It's not an exclusive old bike that would have value as a collector item, and your intention isn't to restore it anyway. You would also need to put a bunch of money into it to ride it - 1987 tires and tubes aren't going to be rideable and the bearings etc are likely corroded and dried out.

Far better to put that money into a decent starter bike that's new or close to new with current technology.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Yes, not worth it.
The guy is thinking he has an "all-original" collector bike and that it is worth money but it's not.

The only Panasonic I've seen is my brothers' bike and it is heavy with cheap components.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That bike even at $50 or $100 would be very questionable. To get that thing to any sort of decent riding shape would probably be a considerable amount of money and it would still be old and not very nice. I looked around the craigslist down where you are and it looks a lot like here in Oregon for road bikes. Old overpriced stuff. Anything decent at all is in the $600 plus range. Downtube shifters should be a key that the bike is old. It is an outdated place to put shifters. Having all the controls in once place is nice.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You guys are harsh. That CL Panasonic is expensive, but not outrageous. It's a quality bicycle, just not a fancy, collectible one. Probably super low miles, given it has original tires on it. It's probably on the heavy side - I'd guess 25 to 27 lbs - but also a very nice, comfortable riding steely.

Offer $200 and invest in new tires and tubes, new brake pads, a modern seat, some tuneup work, and some modern pedals. You'll be rewarded with a nice bike for riding until you're ready to spend $700 - $1500 or more. And even then, you may want to keep it for riding when the weather is bad or taking places where you wouldn't risk a very expensive bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I will pass on the bike.

@ian45 i agree, sacramento is pretty bad place to find bikes on craigslist, lots of old stuff. If you here of anyone selling a decent bike that would be worth spending 200-300 please let me know.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks AJ, just saw your comment. I appreciate the other side of the coin :) I offered $200 but he would not budge. I read somewhere, a virtual bike museum website and it said the average price that this bike sales for is $170.

What would new tires, tubes, brake pads, seat, and tuneup work cost me?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think if you keep at it you will find a nicer bike in your price range. I think you did the right thing with that older one by passing on it. Up here I think we call it "bike inflation" which is basically people wanting too much money for their used bikes. I was not aware of this bike inflation thing for a while. When I got back into cycling after some time off I listed an old Cannondale super V full suspension mountain bike for what I thought was a kinda crazy high price to start. Someone snatched it up within minutes and I think they thought I had stolen it selling it at that low price. It was crazy. I probably could have doubled the price and still got it but thats fine. I don't really like that game. But anyway if you had $250 to $300 cash sitting there and put your time in with some knowledge of bike values you could get something decent. Many times a bike that is even a somewhat decent deal is snatched up within minutes of it being listed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
What would new tires, tubes, brake pads, seat, and tuneup work cost me?
Hi Manny - I think the waiting advice is not bad - a better deal usually comes along, usually right after you just spent your money!

But for reference, some inexpensive tires on sale (Vittorias) say $30-35/pair, tubes $8/pr, brake pads $12, seat $20 (although you could probably get one for free if you have some biking friends), so maybe $70 total. The best would be if you can do your own work. Tuneup would be to install the parts you bought, lubricate the cables, adjust the hubs, true the wheels, adjust the shifters, maybe wrap some modern bar tape (that's another $6 :).

$200 was probably the top price for that bike as is, so it's good he turned you down. When a CL seller has rejected my offer, I usually tell them that at least they now have an honest offer, to keep my phone number and call me if they want to reconsider.

For reference, I just bought a nice Motebecane CX Pro cyclocross bike, SRAM Rival equipped, for $500. The bike needs nothing. The guy originally was asking $800 (sold new for $1200). When it didn't sell, he re-listed it for $600. I called and asked if he would consider $500 (a low offer, not a crazy low offer). He said yes. We met 30 minutes later. Looked at the bike, rode it, peeled off 5 bills and put it on my car rack.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great advice. If you don't mind I'd like to post other bikes I find and get your opinions since I dont have any biking friends who i can ask. Just let me know if I'm being a bother. :)

Here is another bike I found. Bikepedia says it has an original msrp of 649.99. some upgrades were done but 350 sounds high to me. What are your thoughts.

TREK1000 54cm road bike

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
214 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice. If you don't mind I'd like to post other bikes I find and get your opinions since I dont have any biking friends who i can ask. Just let me know if I'm being a bother. :)

Here is another bike I found. Bikepedia says it has an original msrp of 649.99. some upgrades were done but 350 sounds high to me. What are your thoughts.

TREK1000 54cm road bike
I would say that one looks worth pouncing on. May just need pedals and a bar wrap less than half an inch thick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks curtw and ian45. I sent an email to the seller right when i saw it but I have not heard back yet. It is out of my budget though but if its really a great value i might make a go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, so it did not workout with te last bike but now I'm looking at another one. Here it is below. he mentioned he was having trouble selling it but that could have been because it was buried on Craig's list and he was trying to sell it at a garage sell. He put some $450 wheels on it he said but he couldn't remember what they were off top of his head. Said he would text me them later. Can you all tell from the photo what they are? He is heavier he mentioned, 240lbs so don't know of that is a concern in terms of wear and tear. He used to ride twice a week with a group but is moving and still has another bike he likes better he said he servies the bike himself Anyhow is this a worthy purchase. He is asking $400 (down from $500) and he is throwing in a helmet.

garage moving sale

2001 Schwinn Fastback Factory - BikePedia

·
Registered
92 Posts
That looks like a nice bike. I would not worry about the guy being on the large size. The wheels are what would be the biggest problem for a heavy guy and it looks like he put some better ones on there. I cannot tell from the picture what they are but they look decent. Nice wheels are expensive and if they are not bent way out of shape beyond repair they should probably work for you for some time. I think that bike is worth $400 no problem.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.