Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My latest acquisition... A 1987 55cm Specialized Allez Team by Dave Tesch, courtesy of my brother :thumbsup: in Denver. All original with 7 speed Dura Ace 7400 and in excellent condition along with the original catalog. What I am looking for is any additional information about these bikes that anyone can provide. As soon as I get more pictures, I'll post them. Does anyone else on this forum have one?





 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
5,044 Posts
I think Kevin Costner rode one in "American Flyers". HTH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
Wasn't Dave Tesch another "spinoff" of that fertile seedbed that was the Southern California Masi venture of the late '70's?
 

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Found this from a 2006 sale:
"Custom built by David Tesch, San marcos California. 1987. This was
the only year that Dave Tesch built for Specialized. He worked for
Masi California and Trek. He Later started his own company; Tesch
cycles. He was a master frame builder. He passed away in 2003. This is
a true classic. Constructed of Columbus SLX tubing. One of the finest Lugged steel
framesets ever made."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
merckxman said:
Found this from a 2006 sale:
"Custom built by David Tesch, San marcos California. 1987. This was
the only year that Dave Tesch built for Specialized. He worked for
Masi California and Trek. He Later started his own company; Tesch
cycles. He was a master frame builder. He passed away in 2003. This is
a true classic. Constructed of Columbus SLX tubing. One of the finest Lugged steel
framesets ever made."
I agree with everything in your statement except mybe that last sentence. I guess it is considered a very nice steel frame... but one of the finest ever made? Sounds like marketing speak to me. The funny thing about this bike is that the gentleman that owned it, rode it very little. That is why it is in such pristine condition. His brother has a matching bike only one size smaller that he plans top sell. The condition of it is similar to mine. What are the odds that two brothers would buy the same bike and then never ride them, only to turn around over 20 years later and both sell them?
 

·
Adventure Seeker
Joined
·
5,115 Posts
That is one awesome looking bike! The only thing I'd change would be the bar tape. I love the looks of the Specialized from that era.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jupiterrn said:
Wow, very nice. I like it a lot.
Thanks for the compliment. My brother had a friend who bought one back in 1987 or 1988 but it was stolen not long after he bought it. I don't remember anything about them back then as I was riding my Miyata Pro at the time. Sure glad my brother remembered it, as he was the one who found it on Craig's List and quickly sealed the deal before anyone else could buy it. I am looking forward to riding it later in the year when I return home. I have been told that Tesch frames tend to be a little on the aggressive side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Peanya said:
That is one awesome looking bike! The only thing I'd change would be the bar tape. I love the looks of the Specialized from that era.
Thanks, I agree. It does have that '80s look to it... not that that is a bad thing. :thumbsup: I plan on putting a Turbo saddle on it and changing the handlebar tape to white, like it shows in the catalog picture. I had been wanting to build up a bike with early Dura Ace components, post AX/EX. I think this group (being that it is 7 speed) is the group that came out just after the AX/EX, is that correct?

The frame has a lot of nice little details. From what I can gather, Specialized had the lugs and fork crown specially made for the frame. The paint job on it is fantastic. My brother said the decals are under the clear coat and you can't even tell that they are even decals. Almost like they were painted on. I wonder who did the paint jobs on these frames? Does anyone know who did paint work for Tesch at this time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
I'd love to hear about how that bike rides, weight, etc.. It looks pretty similar to the lower end steel allez's of that time, tight geometry and perhaps steeper than average head angle. I really like the way my old allez handles, but I bet it feels like a tank compared to this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave Hickey said:
absolutely beautiful bike......
Thanks Dave. I know it is not Japanese and not red but then again, I already have one like that (Univega with Superbe Pro). At least it is not another blue Miyata! I think 4 of those is my limit. This is definitely my last purchase. Of course I still need to finish building up that Pinarello Montello with C-Record. Then that will definitely be my last! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
Bella!! I think anything Tesch laid his hands on is above board - certainly not lower end. The lugs look hand-filed (thinned) from here and I bet he wouldn't build a bike if he didn't have that liberty. Even a Walmart frame will ride fine for many miles but it's the hand-fit and finish that sets these bikes apart - regardless of livery or "brand". Schwinn put out some great stuff at the same time with a similar finish. But that Tesch decal that will keep that a collectible and relatively rare bike.
I like your plan for it. Also I recommend sharing the Tesch history to those who acknowledge your "old bike", and ride the crap out of it!
Dave
KC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,094 Posts
Quattro_Assi_07 said:
Thanks, I agree. It does have that '80s look to it... not that that is a bad thing. :thumbsup: I plan on putting a Turbo saddle on it and changing the handlebar tape to white, like it shows in the catalog picture. I had been wanting to build up a bike with early Dura Ace components, post AX/EX. I think this group (being that it is 7 speed) is the group that came out just after the AX/EX, is that correct?

The frame has a lot of nice little details. From what I can gather, Specialized had the lugs and fork crown specially made for the frame. The paint job on it is fantastic. My brother said the decals are under the clear coat and you can't even tell that they are even decals. Almost like they were painted on. I wonder who did the paint jobs on these frames? Does anyone know who did paint work for Tesch at this time?
That bike is in phenomenal condition. Yes, Dura Ace 7400 - the very first being the indexed 6 speed - followed the less than successfull AX group. It was the group that got me and a lot of others at the time off Campy (in my case temporarily.) Great stuff even if Hickey agrees with me.:D

As to the paint, Brian Bayliss, Joe Bell, and Jim Cunningham (CyclArt) were also "spinoffs" of that Masi, San Marcos, Dave Moulton, northern Dan Diego County hotbed of the late '70's through the '80's. No telling who did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Richard said:
That bike is in phenomenal condition. Yes, Dura Ace 7400 - the very first being the indexed 6 speed - followed the less than successfull AX group. It was the group that got me and a lot of others at the time off Campy (in my case temporarily.) Great stuff even if Hickey agrees with me.:D

As to the paint, Brian Bayliss, Joe Bell, and Jim Cunningham (CyclArt) were also "spinoffs" of that Masi, San Marcos, Dave Moulton, northern Dan Diego County hotbed of the late '70's through the '80's. No telling who did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of them.
Thanks Richard. Yes, the bike is in wonderful condition. The original owner says he has barely ridden it over the years. I am looking forward to putting some miles on it in the years to come. I do have bikes with both Dura Ace EX and AX and my recollection is that the EX came out about 1979 and was followed by the AX around 1981. How long did the EX survive? Did it eventually evolve into the DA7400? I know the AX fizzled out around 1984 or so.

I wish I could pin down who exactlyy painted the frame. Maybe if I contacted Specialized they would know? Thanks again for the information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Love your bike. I was a aware of the 3Rensho Allez, but didn't know Dave had worked with Specialized. My old roommate raced/crashed a Tesch 101. I always check the Allez frames when they come up for sale, now I'll have to check for the Team also. BTW, I am the guy who sold you the Univega/Miyata you mentioned earlier in the thread. Enjoy the new ride.
 
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Top