50K views 60 replies 31 participants last post by  kiwisimon 
#1 · (Edited)

#5 ·
Found this from a 2006 sale:
"Custom built by David Tesch, San marcos California. 1987. This was
the only year that Dave Tesch built for Specialized. He worked for
Masi California and Trek. He Later started his own company; Tesch
cycles. He was a master frame builder. He passed away in 2003. This is
a true classic. Constructed of Columbus SLX tubing. One of the finest Lugged steel
framesets ever made."

#15 ·
I'd love to hear about how that bike rides, weight, etc.. It looks pretty similar to the lower end steel allez's of that time, tight geometry and perhaps steeper than average head angle. I really like the way my old allez handles, but I bet it feels like a tank compared to this one.

#17 ·
Bella!! I think anything Tesch laid his hands on is above board - certainly not lower end. The lugs look hand-filed (thinned) from here and I bet he wouldn't build a bike if he didn't have that liberty. Even a Walmart frame will ride fine for many miles but it's the hand-fit and finish that sets these bikes apart - regardless of livery or "brand". Schwinn put out some great stuff at the same time with a similar finish. But that Tesch decal that will keep that a collectible and relatively rare bike.
I like your plan for it. Also I recommend sharing the Tesch history to those who acknowledge your "old bike", and ride the crap out of it!
Dave
KC

#18 ·
Quattro_Assi_07 said:
Thanks, I agree. It does have that '80s look to it... not that that is a bad thing. :thumbsup: I plan on putting a Turbo saddle on it and changing the handlebar tape to white, like it shows in the catalog picture. I had been wanting to build up a bike with early Dura Ace components, post AX/EX. I think this group (being that it is 7 speed) is the group that came out just after the AX/EX, is that correct?

The frame has a lot of nice little details. From what I can gather, Specialized had the lugs and fork crown specially made for the frame. The paint job on it is fantastic. My brother said the decals are under the clear coat and you can't even tell that they are even decals. Almost like they were painted on. I wonder who did the paint jobs on these frames? Does anyone know who did paint work for Tesch at this time?
That bike is in phenomenal condition. Yes, Dura Ace 7400 - the very first being the indexed 6 speed - followed the less than successfull AX group. It was the group that got me and a lot of others at the time off Campy (in my case temporarily.) Great stuff even if Hickey agrees with me.:D

As to the paint, Brian Bayliss, Joe Bell, and Jim Cunningham (CyclArt) were also "spinoffs" of that Masi, San Marcos, Dave Moulton, northern Dan Diego County hotbed of the late '70's through the '80's. No telling who did it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were one of them.

#20 ·
Love your bike. I was a aware of the 3Rensho Allez, but didn't know Dave had worked with Specialized. My old roommate raced/crashed a Tesch 101. I always check the Allez frames when they come up for sale, now I'll have to check for the Team also. BTW, I am the guy who sold you the Univega/Miyata you mentioned earlier in the thread. Enjoy the new ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.