Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old '87 Trek bonded aluminum frame in my possession thats in excellent condition. Is this frame worth building up with updated Shimano 105 components? How did these bonded frames perform compared to steel and welded aluminum? How did these frames ride? The fork is also bonded aluminum. Should this be updated to a carbon fork or should I just leave it alone?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
my friend had an 86 trek 2000 which was also bonded aluminim. I think very similar to your 1500 and I want to say bicycling mag gave it bike of the year (not sure but i know it was on the cover of one of their mags). It rode nicely, looked clean and felt efficient&comfy. I would use the original fork. I'm building up a 90 cdale with a bonded fork myself. Carbon's obviously lighter but I'd stay retro & keep the bike all Al.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
corrections

my friends was an 85 (their 1st year of bonding), the magazine was bicycle guide & I don't think it got bike of the year (i don't think they even did a bike of the year).
 

·
"It's alive!"
Joined
·
1,454 Posts
Old Yeller said:
I have an old '87 Trek bonded aluminum frame in my possession thats in excellent condition. Is this frame worth building up with updated Shimano 105 components? How did these bonded frames perform compared to steel and welded aluminum? How did these frames ride? The fork is also bonded aluminum. Should this be updated to a carbon fork or should I just leave it alone?
Build it, ride it, love it! Those old Treks were great! The were stiff enough, but not bone-jarringly stiff. They damped small vibrations very well. The frame geometries tended toward "relaxed racing." Overall, you'd be looking at a relatively comfy, performance-oriented bike. It will be a bit heavier than a contemporary high-end racing frame, but who cares about a pound or so of non-rotating weight?

You hear some folks whine about problems with the bonding, but I've been hammering a bonded aluminum ATB with no problems since 1993, and I'm 250lb! In the unlikely event that a bond were to come loose, the frame would not fall apart, it would just flex a bit more.

Yours,

FBB
 

·
What the Hell is going on
Joined
·
4,996 Posts
Rebecca Twigg Rules

Friction_Shifter said:
my friends was an 85 (their 1st year of bonding), the magazine was bicycle guide & I don't think it got bike of the year (i don't think they even did a bike of the year).
Hey Friction, is that your copy of Bicycle Guide with my Rebecca Twigg on the cover? Man, when she lived here in Sandy Eggo me and my buddies used to ride all over the East County hoping to "accidently" ride with her.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,302 Posts
JaeP said:
Hey Friction, is that your copy of Bicycle Guide with my Rebecca Twigg on the cover? Man, when she lived here in Sandy Eggo me and my buddies used to ride all over the East County hoping to "accidently" ride with her.
I'm guessing the frame is too big for her. How tall is she? Nope its not mine. Sandy Eggo = home of the hotties...she looks mary lou rettonesque. JaeP check your PM's (regarding indexing mavic w dura ace).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses. Still not sure what to do though. Got too many bikes. Nothing like Lukers collection, but the wife and three kids take up a lot of space. Im just trying to narrow it down between the extremely expensive restoration of my Pinarello and piecing back together my old Trek.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Here's a picture of my 1995 1220.



I've had zero complaints about this frame for what it is. I know that lots of folks complain about AL being harsh but I can't complain about this bike at all.

One thing I can say is that I think the glued AL frames are much nicer looking than welded AL frames. Very clean looking.

My bike has CrMo fork. I seem to recall some issues with the older AL forks but I could be confusing that with the lingering concerns we had back then due to the old Vitus forks. Weren't those the ones that collapsed?
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top