Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Found an pristine 1990 Specialized Epic CF to restore. Rides & performs great! Mostly stock Shimano 600 Tri-Color with the following modifications:

1. Re-Cleared the Frame & Forks
2. Added the "S" decal to the seat tube & fork blades
3. Wolber T430 Alpine 700c rims & new nipples
4. Shimano 600 Tri-Color Single-Pivot Calipers (Form over Function)
5. Compact 42cm Handlebar
6. Polished handlebar stem

7. Compact Crankset (50/34), drilled-out & painted to match component grupo
8. 14G Double-Butted Spokes Ft. & Rr.
9. Radial Laced Ft Wheel
10. Added 25T for a 13/25 cassette range
11. Carbon Fiber Seat Post
12. Restored Shimano 600 Tri-Color Brake Levers with red painted trim accents
13. Red painted down-tube shift lever trim bosses

https://goo.gl/photos/RCxJz79sns96dKEN6

OR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=dkltVTBnZWpVNElJejZFRG9CN2NIMFNBMTFQUkNR

I did all the work myself with the exception of the clear-coating. I'm very happy with my $420 all-in investment.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry about that. I reset the Picasa link.

https://goo.gl/photos/RCxJz79sns96dKEN6

OR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMOJxTEhQ2-ztyUDJQnQIebKItc9znCWukHT6mtjebZIW8ilNVRX9j5NJuMQVUk2w?key=dkltVTBnZWpVNElJejZFRG9CN2NIMFNBMTFQUkNR

I potographed the entire process. Here's a few pictures of the finished product:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle

Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle tire

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct! I have the original 600 Tri-Color crankset with 53/39 rings. While this bike will not be my primary climbing bike, I fitted the compact to have the option for climbing in the mountains. I attempted to stylize the crank by drilling & color-matching to the 600 grey groupo.

With that said, I just purchased a complete Dura Ace 7401 7sp grupo and I'm in the process of refitting the bike. Going high-end with my resto-mod ride!

·
Cycling Addict
5,205 Posts
In 1989 I bought a Specialized Allez Epic and built it up with a mix of Campy components - Chorus crankset, brakeset, derailleurs, and headset. Nuovo Record hubs and shifters, Mavic MA40 rims, 15g DT spokes. I chose some Cinelli stem and bar combo, but forget what it was... I rode that bike until 2003 when I purchased a new STI equipped Klein. It took me almost a month before I stopped reaching for the downtube to shift...

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
I remember buying a carbon Kestrel 200 Sci in 1992. This was back when "steel is real" before pros were even racing aluminum, much less carbon bikes. First bike I ever had with STI shifting. I went back and forth between that bike and a Cannondale with tube shifters. It did get confusing riding the Cannondale into work on Monday after riding the Kestrel all weekend.

Back then, carbon was really exotic. The guy I shared an office with was an older steel/Campy type who thought carbon bikes were really strange. I told him that I had to be careful with the bike. If it was too hot out, it would get soft, and if I rode it below 30 degrees and dropped it, the frame would shatter. He asked me why on earth did I buy a bike like that. Now I'm the old steel/Campy type.

Cool Specialized. The red accents on the shifter bosses look nice. There was an urban legend going around that the carbon tubes and the aluminum lugs would interact over time causing the frame to fail. So much for that theory.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
There was an urban legend going around that the carbon tubes and the aluminum lugs would interact over time causing the frame to fail. So much for that theory.
Resurrected by Specialized with a bulletin some years ago that they don't recommend people riding those old Epics any more. Lawyer stuff, I'm sure. If the joints start to corrode, any perceptive person will notice it.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
I saw one of the Epics when they came out with the deluxe build.
Hugi hubs and Marwi Ti-Dye spokes. Wow.
That bike was the coolest thing ever...at the time.

I remember buying a carbon Kestrel 200 Sci in 1992. This was back when "steel is real" before pros were even racing aluminum, much less carbon bikes.
TVT carbon had already won the Tour in 1986, 1988 and 1989. But carbon technique was still developing for sure.

I have seen a Colnago with the dropout/carbon fiber separation problem. One rear dropout came unglued and pulled right out of the tubing. I also saw a Vitus carbon chainstay pull apart from the bottom bracket while the rider was in a sprint finish.

Meanwhile I know someone who has a early nineties TVT that comes out now and then, still perfectly sound. I've never seen an Alan fail either.

·
Registered
11,092 Posts
nicely done.

I bought a new Allez Epic (yellow graphics) in '93 that was 'old stock' so it's likely a '92.

came with full DA8 STI...it has been almost maint-free the entire time I've owned it, only had to replace the big chain-ring, a jockey pulley, and chains. I upgraded the saddle from a Turbomatic II to a Ti Flite and the original Open 4 CD wheels got maimed in a crash, so it has Open Pros now.

after ~60K miles, I decided to 'retire' it due to concerns about the frame as there are a couple of very minor spots of galvanic corrosion on two lugs. it sees occasional roller duty in the winter and sometimes gets the nod when the main ride is down for repair.

since I am doing a complete re-build of the main ride at the moment, the Epic is seeing daily use now and it continues to performs nicely.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I had a '94 Epic. I put a lot of miles on it. After a few years I started to see some powdery residue from galvanic corrosion. It was not particularly light compared to modern CF bikes but it did retain a cool lugged look.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.