Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few classic steel bikes for sale lately and wanted to get a ballpark value of my 1992 Paramount Series 5. It's full 105 with downtube shifters. White with Purple Slime splatter-paint. I saw some old threads on here but wanted to feel out a selling price in the current market.

Thanks for any insight!

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Down tube 105. Hmmm...far from the most collectible Paramounts. Depending on condition, I'd say $150 to $300. Need to see some pics.
I tried to buy one here in SoCal a year or two ago, offering the seller $350 on a very clean '92 8-sp 600/Ultegra-equipped downtube shifting one. My plan was to put some old Dura Ace STI levers on it and run SKS Raceblade fenders as a winter bike. He rejected my offer and did not counter on his craigslisted bike at $500. Said he would rather keep it than drop it a penny below his asking price. I still felt like I made a fair offer.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
These were good bikes. I had a PDG Series 3 with RX 100 and liked it a lot. The reason they're not "collectible" is that the PDG bikes were made in Asia, with some in the trade derisively calling them "Japamounts." Some information at the link:
PDG Series Bikes ? 1989-94
Or 'Pretendamounts':)

By all reports the top models (5 & 7--they differed only in group set) were hand-built by National (Panasonic) and are excellent quality frames.

That said, they have never commanded top dollar used because somehow a "real" Paramount is Chicago or Waterford produced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Modern parts on this classic?

I am now thinking about retro-fitting this guy into a training/touring bike. Will modern components fit it? I know I would need to get new wheels, rear derailleur, and brifters. Would I have to replace the front derailleur too?

Any info would be helpful. My first re-build.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I am now thinking about retro-fitting this guy into a training/touring bike. Will modern components fit it? I know I would need to get new wheels, rear derailleur, and brifters. Would I have to replace the front derailleur too?

Any info would be helpful. My first re-build.
I will cost less money to buy a new complete bike then to replace everything. Plus, there is no such thing as a brifter. So, you will have to invent, design, and manufacture that yourself.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
I will cost less money to buy a new complete bike then to replace everything. Plus, there is no such thing as a brifter. So, you will have to invent, design, and manufacture that yourself.
I disagree with that unless you're replacing with new top end 11 speed gear. If your bike is 8 speed the rear spacing is probably 128 or 130 mm and shouldn't give any problems mounting more modern freewheels. That being said, while the Japanese made Paramount doesn't command as much respect as the earlier Waterford made ones, they're still supposed to be decent bikes. You might try finding a set of 8 speed brifters (a lot of people hate that word, but shoot I know what you mean when you type it) such as 600, RSX, maybe 105 and see how it works out.

You can spend a couple of hundred bucks and get that bike singing or spend $500 and get a crap aluminum bike with entry level parts that you'll ending up hanging clothes from because it's no fun to ride.

I think your bike in good condition, depending on where you're trying to sell, might be worth $300 or so.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
... brifters ... a lot of people hate that word, but shoot I know what you mean when you type it.
most roadies in the u.s. are familiar as well.

You can spend a couple of hundred bucks and get that bike singing or spend $500 and get a crap aluminum bike with entry level parts that you'll ending up hanging clothes from because it's no fun to ride.
great advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks but I don't think that was my question. Anyone have any actual answers rather than condescension?

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,806 Posts
You got several thoughtful answers including a few with some values so you need to lighten up.

I guess I read the second post and got the impression it was from you regarding upgrading the bike so I'm sorry I spent so much time trying to give you an answer.

$300

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Would I have to replace the front derailleur too?
doubt it. you will just need to try it with your new crankset. you may need to move the fd up or down. usually, the best fd performance comes with it positioned a mm or two from clearing the big ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts